SW2008 new part in assembly - HELP!

Hi all,

We've just upgraded to SW2008, which seems pretty good in many respects. However, we usually work on a horizontal building method; we have a part which conatains layout sketches at the top of the assembly tree, and then we build the product by inserting new parts into the assembly.

While I appreciate what SW have tried to do with the new feature where new parts inserted into the assembly are contained within the assembly until saved out of it, we are finding it a bit pain. So does anyone know if there is a tick box somewhere to allow you to insert new parts into an assembly in the old way?

Many thanks in advance! Lee

Reply to
lee baz

At this point I believe that the new virtual part capability doesn't have a function to say not to make them virtual. I think a good option would be to have a system setting that controlled whether new inserted parts were added as virtual or external. In fact, I think I will turn that one in.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Done.

Insert new part setting - virtual or not

Virtual parts arrived with SW2008. Nice addition. But I find that most people here still want real parts most of the time, not virtual. How about a system setting that determines whether inserted parts are created as virtual by default, or as real file parts by default. If the master setting is set to real part, then a virtual part could still be made by some method of dismissible dialog box upon insertion. If the default is set to virtual, then a real part can still be made as is done today with the RMB.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I use dbWorks for PDM and this is not a problem because dbWorks forces a new external part.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Reply to