Select features from one part to create a new part

In Solidworks 2003, is there a way to select a set of features in a part and then create a new, separate part from just those selected features?

Reply to
John Williams

John,

When you say features, do you mean individual features, sketches or bodies? What confuses me is a "set" of features, that could me many things but generally I would say, no, you can not select a set, it would be individual and it would mean starting with sketches (copy/paste) on specific planes/features.

Otherwise, a few ways you can do this are:

Incontext (via assembly). - bring the parent part and child part into an assembly and edit the child part incontext, copy or derive, sketches, planes,... from the parent part. - then, if you want you can break those dependencies.

Insert Part - insert the parent part (limited too) solid bodies, surface bodies, planes, axes and cosmetic threads into a child, select what you need.

Copy/Paste simple features or Drag and drop sketches, to and from parts. - see "Drag and Drop" in the onlin help.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Or just Save As Copy, then delete features you don't need from the new part. Add what you do need.

-nick e.

Paul Salvador quipped:

Reply to
Nick E.

You can also use Split Part or save the multibodies as assembly.

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

You can create a new configuration of the original part, with features suppressed. Then insert the part, creating a derived component (Base Part pre SW2003) into your new part.

The other option is to insert the part, creating a derived component (Base Part pre SW2003) into you new part and just delete the features you don't want.

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Seems to me the easiest way to do this is to do a "save as copy" of the original part to the new part number. Then simply delete those features in the new part that you don't want to keep.

cheers bob

Reply to
rab

Try 'Save As...' Library Feature.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions!

Reply to
John Williams