offsetting one part in another part

I've got a part that i've designed, now i want it to 'fit' into another part with an offset in part2. Basically, part2 is to accpet part1, both are cylindrical. Part1 OD is 2.307" and i would like to offset the ID in part 2 to 2.314. The length I would like the same.

How can i do this in SW2006? I used Combine, but it makes the exact same ID as the OD of part1. I would like to offset the ID in part2 larger by about .007".

Thanks!

Reply to
samurai

Generally speaking, you don't want to use this method for mechanical relationships.

If you want to maintain a specific ratio between the parts, use an equation in an assembly. In its simplest form, this can be expressed as

"D1@ snipped-for-privacy@hole.Part"="D1@ snipped-for-privacy@shaft.Part"*1.01

This means that the hole (in the hole.sldprt) will always resolve to 10% larger than the shaft.sldprt.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

I was hoping to find a faster way to offset a part that fits into another part.

The way you suggest means that i have to actually make a sketch to fit the part. Is there a way to convert a half section view of part1 into a sketch of part2? I've got a profiled cylinder of part1 in a section view, how can I get the sectioned view of the profile to a sketch?

Thanks.

Reply to
samurai

Well, you could create an in-context part from the cylinder, but then, I'm not really sure what your trying to accomplish here. Are you using multibody parts to represent assemblies?? This is a very bad idea if you are. Product designs should allways be represented as assemblies. Multibodies should be used as a construction tool to make single parts. I also use multibodies to represent purchased parts like valves and motors.

You say you want a faster way to accomplish this, Are you in a race ??? All software of this type is more productive when used as it was intended. We have a couple of guys here who take allot of shortcuts. They say it's faster. Well, it's not. All it does is move the labor downstream to the next group that has to fix it.

Maybe you could post a picture of what your trying to do.

Mark

Reply to
MM

It sounds like you could try creating a surface body from part1 that is offset the desired distance. You will probably have to cap the end(s) of the offset surface prior to creating a "insert, cut, with surface" feature.

Tim

samurai wrote:

Reply to
T. Struemke

This sounds like the Indent feature to me. Check it out in the help.

amurai wrote:

Reply to
matt

Thanks Matt, Indent is a neat feature, it worked for what I want to do. It presented new problems, part1 has an o-ring groove, and when using Indent, on part2, it put the groove on part2, which I cut away with a cut/revolve. But when changing the OD of part1, the cut revolve was not associated unless I used an equation.

Neat feature, should come in handy with a bit more experimenting.

samurai.

Reply to
samurai