Extending the lead-screw of my small vertical mill

I have a Central Machinery benchtop vertical mill (table size is 5" x 20"). I am interested in adding a power feed to it.
So I looked underneath the table and discovered that the lead screw is only about 14" long - meaning it isn't as long as the table.
I guess that means I either sacrifice the hand-feed handle (I don't plan on using that choice) or I come up with a longer lead screw.
I have a lathe with a steady-rest that can cut a 20" blank. Have you ever made your own lead screw before? What problems am I likely to encounter?
Gary
This guy extended the shaft.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Modifications/Power_feed/power_feed.htm
Or buy a bolt-on. May require a new leadscrew.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID#76
Sounds to me like there may be a longer leadscrew available
snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com wrote:

A lead screw can be cut on a lathe. The setup would be with a lathe dog, Acme threading tool bit, follower rest and turning between centers. It would be preferable to use some fairly tough material such as drill rod. I recently made a short one for a vice I overhauled. Real P.I.T.A. I would look around for some ready-made lead screw stock. HF won't have it and they probably won't help you find it. Try McMaster - Carr.
Bob Swinney

Yup. They have it for about $35 (3 foot piece).
Thanks.
Gary
snipped-for-privacy@panamsat.com wrote:

I cut the end off the leadscrew, and made an extension, just a tube with the ID matching the leadscrew's OD. I drilled it on the leadscrew and then threaded the hole in the screw, and drilled the extension tube to clear the 10-32 bolt. So, the bolt acts like a shaft pin, only it is easier to remove. You can use a taper pin, which is really designed for this purpose, or use a small bolt like I did. It makes no sense to make a whole leadscrew unless you want to extend the THREADED part of the screw. (I did this on a Bridgeport that had a power feed that reduced the table travel considerably. I extended the screw and put a block of aluminum between the table and the power feed unit so I got the full table travel back.)
Jon