How to create a joined part?

I am trying to follow the directions in help "Creating a Joined Part"....but can't make it happen. I just dont get the Join PropertyManager started... can't even select join under insert - features - join...

Please be very specific in your directions....

Reply to
steve

After you start the new component in the assembly you have to be out of the sketch that is automatically started. Then good too Insert\Features\Join

Regards, Scott

Part"....but

Reply to
Scott

Yeah, if you follow the direction in the help context exactly, it will NOT work. Exit the sketch first like Scott said and then it will work. I'm pretty sure that their help directions for this have been wrong since SW2001. I wonder when they will correct the help directions. I guess they do not proof there help context very often....

Reply to
Seth Renigar

SP3 of SW04 addressed this issue.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Just save the assembly as a part.

Reply to
Shemi Rubin

My help directions of SP3.0 still leaves out that step.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"5. Close the sketch. Because you are creating a joined part, you do not need the sketch."

Muggs

message

Reply to
Muggs

Hello Steve,

Try a truly easy to use CAD system:

You can spend your time designing instead of battling poor UI.

IronDude

Reply to
IronDude

Actually SP3 says that too. Not sure what Seth's reading.

Reply to
Devlin

Hmm.... Just opened my help again to verify that I wasn't crazy. I was not crazy. It does skip this step. Turns out, the title bar of my help window says: SolidWorks 2004 Online User's Guide - SP2. I never new that the title bar would tell the "help" version.

But, what I don't understand is that I am almost positive that I updated the help files when I upgraded to SP3.0.

Oh well. I'll get it caught up on SP4.0 (eventually).

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Others have mentioned the standard "Join" which is covered in Help, and some have noted to save an Assembly as a Part.

There's one more 'official' method to do a Join, which I use:

A. Part 1 and Part 2 to be joined are put in an assembly drawing & mated. B. Part 1 in the Assembly is put into "Edit" mode from the Feature Manager icon C. Menu select Join from Insert:Features:Join D. Select Part 2 in Feature Manager tree E. Deselect the Edit icon F. Part 1 now shows itself with Part 2 added and as a 'part of' part

1

This method is very similar to using the Feature "Cavity".

Bp

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Interesting. Rather than creating a new part to "contain" all the joined parts, you just open one of the original parts and "put" the others there. Kind of like starting with a template. (Well sort of.....loosely.)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

This is the method that I have used to send a combined overmold and core part to the mold makers. I've run into a couple of parts now where it doesn't work. SW gives me an error message and doesn't join part 2 into part

  1. The really interesting part is that I can insert an empty new part, call it part 3, into the assembly and join parts 1 and 2 in it and it works just fine!

Jerry Steiger