mirroring a part

Hi
After making a drawing and extrutions in Pro-E Wildfire 3.0, i want to make an mirrored copy of the part.
I thought the solution was simply mirroring the part by choosing all
sketches and extrutions in the menu and mirror it about a new plane, then delete the original, but it seems like the copy is grouped in some way to the original, so when deleting the original, the copy also deletes.
Can anyone please help me solve this problem?
Thanks
MB
"MB" <software(a)hardware.dk> wrote in message making a drawing and extrutions in Pro-E Wildfire 3.0, i want to make <BR>an mirrored copy of the part.<BR><BR>I thought the solution was simply mirroring the part by choosing all <BR>sketches and extrutions in the menu and mirror it about a new plane, then <BR>delete the original, but it seems like the copy is grouped in some way to <BR>the original, so when deleting the original, the copy also deletes.<BR><BR>Can anyone please help me solve this problem?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>MB<BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>To make an actual mirrored part, you have to do it in an assembly. Assemble your part to one side of a mirror plane. Create another part, in assembly ('Insert&gt;Component&gt;Create'). When the component creation dialogue comes up, pick Mirror as the sub-type. Select the part to mirror, select the mirror plane, and OK. A new, mirrored part is created. Be aware that some of the options will create placement and feature dependencies of the mirrored part to the parent part.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

message
your part to one side of a mirror plane. Create another part, in assembly ('Insert>Component>Create'). When the component creation dialogue comes up, pick Mirror as the sub-type. Select the part to mirror, select the mirror plane, and OK. A new, mirrored part is created. Be aware that some of the options will create placement and feature dependencies of the mirrored part to the parent part.

David is right if you mean in your post that you want to make a new part which is a mirror of the existing part. Do you want to mirror the geometry in the same part? Or do you want to create a new part that is a mirror of the first?
One thing I think you don't understand is the parametric nature of ProE. You can't mirror something and then delete the original features. The original features are parents of the mirrored geometry. The mirrored geometry relies on the parent features for its existence.
Hi<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; After making a drawing and extrutions in Pro-E Wildfire 3.0, i want to make<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; an mirrored copy of the part.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I thought the solution was simply mirroring the part by choosing all<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; sketches and extrutions in the menu and mirror it about a new plane,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Umm, how does mirroring a bunch of features create a new part? Wouldn't that just create additional features on your original part? Features are features.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>In the world of plastics, there's a modelling method, akin to what you describe, called the Master Model approach. From it, in its original surface form, "parts" are trimmed and saved as seperate, 'independent' pieces. The "parts" are what's left, aftetr the surface trim. Many such trims are possible, as are many such "parts", thus created. What do YOU need!?!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;then<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; delete the original, but it seems like the copy is grouped in some way to<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; the original, so when deleting the original, the copy also deletes.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Can anyone please help me solve this problem?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; MB<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; To make an actual mirrored part, you have to do it in an assembly. Assemble your part to one side of a mirror plane. Create another part, in assembly ('Insert&gt;Component&gt;Create'). When the component creation dialogue comes up, pick Mirror as the sub-type. Select the part to mirror, select the mirror plane, and OK. A new, mirrored part is created. Be aware that some of the options will create placement and feature dependencies of the mirrored part to the parent part.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; David Janes<BR><BR>David is right if you mean in your post that you want to make a new<BR>part which is a mirror of the existing part. Do you want to mirror the<BR>geometry in the same part? Or do you want to create a new part that is<BR>a mirror of the first?<BR><BR>One thing I think you don't understand is the parametric nature of<BR>ProE. You can't mirror something and then delete the original<BR>features. The original features are parents of the mirrored geometry.<BR>The mirrored geometry relies on the parent features for its existence.<BR><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Aggravated (sic)</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Hi MB,
To be able to delete the original part, what you need to do while creating the new mirrored part as described in one of the posts, is that you have to make sure you choose "Include all features" from the options, and in the sub-options UNCHECK "placement dependent". Hope this helps.
On Oct 30, 6:26 pm, "MB" <software(a)hardware.dk> wrote:

So, has anything anyone has said been of any use to you? Or are we talking to ourselves?
Hi
I have had some problems with my newsgroupaccount due to a comuter virus, this is why i did not answer this thread until now.
I have successfully mirrored my part by using File>Mirror Part>Mirror Geometry Only and checked Geometry Dependendt.
Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Best regards
MB
"MB" <software(a)hardware.dk> skrev i en meddelelse

"MB" <software(a)hardware.dk> wrote in message Hi<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; After making a drawing and extrutions in Pro-E Wildfire 3.0, i want to <BR>&gt; make an mirrored copy of the part.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I thought the solution was simply mirroring the part by choosing all <BR>&gt; sketches and extrutions in the menu and mirror it about a new plane, then <BR>&gt; delete the original, but it seems like the copy is grouped in some way to <BR>&gt; the original, so when deleting the original, the copy also deletes.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Can anyone please help me solve this problem?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thanks<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; MB<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Interesting, that's a new one with Wf3. It produces a part with a single feature called Mirror which accomplished by selecting Mirror geometry only. The other option is Include all feature data but this has no dependent option. Neither seems to let you select the plane to mirror about.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Janes wrote: [...]

David,
what if the part has to be modified and the mirrored one must follow?
Back with earlier versions I used to create table driven part variants, copy geometry (dependent) using a plane and simply cut away the original (or the mirrored copy respectively), then suppress the adjacent cuts.
The generic part then includes both the original and mirrored features. This method allows the left/right variants to differ also in details which are modeled later on the table driven variants of that part.
As always, pro/e requires a lot of discipline with supressed features: I never found out how do differ a variant table driven suppressed one from a "standard", i. e. one that has been manually suppressed.
Esp. when parts/features were created some time ago / by someone else.
Cheers
Walther
wrote:<BR>[...]<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Interesting, that's a new one with Wf3. It produces a part with a single <BR>&gt; feature called Mirror which accomplished by selecting Mirror geometry <BR>&gt; only. The other option is Include all feature data but this has no <BR>&gt; dependent option. Neither seems to let you select the plane to mirror about.<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; David Janes<BR><BR>David,<BR><BR>what if the part has to be modified and the mirrored one must follow?<BR><BR>Back with earlier versions I used to create table driven part variants,<BR>copy geometry (dependent) using a plane and simply cut away the original<BR>(or the mirrored copy respectively), then suppress the adjacent cuts.<BR><BR>The generic part then includes both the original and mirrored features.<BR>This method allows the left/right variants to differ also in details<BR>which are modeled later on the table driven variants of that part.<BR><BR>As always, pro/e requires a lot of discipline with supressed features:<BR>I never found out how do differ a variant table driven suppressed one<BR>from a "standard", i. e. one that has been manually suppressed.<BR><BR>Esp. when parts/features were created some time ago / by someone else.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Walther</BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>In the current, Wf3 variant of this process, why couldn't you do essentially the same thing? You run the Insert bar up to a feature where you want to begin variation (or maybe suppress later features and keep only what you want in common), mirror that much, then start your variation. What I like about the mirrored part methods is that you actually CAN make the left dependent on the right and vary the base features in both by changing one.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=