Mirroring a part

I modeled an existing part and now I have to model another part that is almost identical, except it's the other hand. I did a Save As to the first part and now I need to mirror it and switch the location of a couple holes and add some other features. When I try to mirror the part (Insert, Mirror Part...), it creates a whole new part in a different drawing. That's not what I want. When I try to mirror the part (Insert, Pattern/Mirror, Mirror...) it mirrors itself without the option of deleting the original part. That's not what I want, either.

Is there any way to mirror a part without having a copy of itself? What if a guy has a few days design time into a part just to find out that he needed the other hand? Does he have to start all over?

Relz

Reply to
Relz

If you pre-select a plane to mirror about and then go to TOOLS/MIRROR PART you will create an exact opposite hand copy of the original part in it's own file. The parts are still linked however, if you change the original the mirrored version will update accordingly. Changes to the mirrored part will not propogate back to the original.

Relz wrote:

original

Reply to
Rock Guy

Relz,

Do Insert\"Pattern/Mirror"\Mirror method. Then in the "Bodies to Mirror" portion choose your body (skip the Features and Faces to Mirror). Then under the Options portion, UNCHECK the "Merge Solids" choice. Now click O.K. You should end up with 2 bodies in the part file (the original and the mirrored), you will then have to Delete the first body.

Is that what you want?

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

It's what I want except when I delete the first body it deletes the mirrored part with it.

Relz

Reply to
Relz

Use The Icon "Delete solid/suface body" it looks like a box with a "x" on it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

This is interesting. I just tried a few things and, while not perfect as you maybe would like to see, it's not bad. I created a simple part with a total of 3 features, and then decided I would actually like a mirror of it. So, Insert \ Pattern/Mirror \ Mirror, pick the body to mirror, and do not merge the two solid bodies. Then, as stated, do a RMB on the original body, and choose Delete body.

This does, in fact, make the body disappear, but its structure of features is still there. You can then continue building on the mirrored version by adding holes, etc. If you want to modify one of the features before the mirror, you can't just double-click on the model, you have to do your clicking in the FeatureTree. Makes sense when you think about it - attempting to double-click on a model that is not the "direct" result of the feature. (Could be an enhancement, though.) Notice that when you modify a sketch dimension, the sketch appears in relation to the original body, not the mirrored one.

You will also see that if you roll back above the body-delete feature, the original "reappears." So, the obvious observation here is that the geometry of the original part is still intact and can be modified directly by rolling back.

WT

"Michael Eckstein" wrote in message news:Cr%Sd.17416$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga...

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I talked to a guy this morning from a Solidworks school and he didn't have the answer either. He contacted Solidworks directly and they told him that this is the most requested missing feature by Solidworks' customers. He said that Solidworks is working on getting this feature into the next release.

I'm the guy at our work who has been put in charge of figuring out if our company should go with Solidworks or another modeling program. I've started into a project and this is the only speedbump I've come across so far. Since our company relies heavily on mirrored parts and mirrored machines, I'm not sure I can fully recommend Solidworks. I may have to look more heavily into Inventor and see how they compare. Any comments?

Relz

Reply to
Relz

Just as an after thought, be careful, if you wish to use the part and mirrored part in mirrored aseemblies. When adding changes to either part, ensure that you have EVERY file open, that are referenced.

Reply to
pete

After doing the mirror, select the body from within the "Solid Bodies" folder at the top of the Feature Tree. There should be 2 bodies in there and you should delete the 1st one. Works fine here.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

This did work. My only concern now is that it seems to have lost some of its features, such as a pop-up description of a feature when you hover your cursor over it. Also, it seems to have lost the ability to highlight the feature when clicked on in the Feature Tree.

I can get along with your way of doing it, Ken. Thanks a lot and I'll wait for the next release to see if Solidworks has changed anything.

Relz

Reply to
Relz

Relz,

Sounds about right, and don't hold your breath ;^)

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man