run time error

Just upgarded to Solidworks 2005. Everytime I clicked "save as", the program crashed with a run time error. I wanted to save as an iges file. Before Solidworks tech figures out what was the problem, has anyone experienced this?

Reply to
yaofengchen

Was your virus checker running when you did the install?

Have you done a repair installation?

Does it crash on just one file or on any?

Reply to
P.

I disabled virus protection before installation. I also did a repair following Solidworks' advice. It crashes on any file once I pulled down the menu to "save as".

The above occurs on my laptop. This morning I install it on my desktop and everything seems to be fine. I can save as.

Reply to
yaofengchen

OK, laptop!

In TOOLS/OPTIONS/SYSTEMOPTIONS/PERFORMANCE check the use software OpenGL box and try saving as. If that helps it may be your video driver.

Also check your video card and driver against those published on the SW website. If you don't have something that is approved that may be the problem. Since SW typically does not publish results for laptops you may have to have your reseller contact SW about the particular video card and drivers you are using. Also on the SW website is a copious amount of information compiled to help diagnose this kind of problem taken in large part from work done by others on this newsgroup and SW.

Which OS and what make/model is your lapt> I disabled virus protection before installation. I also did a repair

desktop

Reply to
P.

Already gone through this with tech support yesterday afternoon. The openGL box was selected and greyed out so I cannot set it. The fact it works fine on my desktop likely means SW will not pursue any further to solve my problem. On the other hand it is good to know there is a way to get around it, at least when I am in the office.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 with 512 MB memory, 1.7Ghz P4. Video is Nvidia Geforce4 420 Go,

Will check the knowleadge base next. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
yaofengchen

Make sure that you don't have a part loaded, or that will gray out the Open GL check box.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

The openGL box is greyed out with no parts loaded.

Reply to
yaofengchen

This means that SW sees the video hardware capability as insufficient to perform the duties, therefore it has to do it itself with software. Slower, but lets it run on less capable hardware.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany