Solidworks Properties program

For all Solidworks users that are frustrated by the conventional method of modifying, Summary, Custom or Configuration Specific Properties.

I have been developing a VB program to Modify, Add or Delete SolidWorks File; Summary, Custom or Configuration Specific Properties. It works on Parts, Assemblies and Drawings. At the moment there is no help file, that will follow later. It's a suck it and see program, which I hope users will find helpful.

It is available free of charge with absolutely no strings attached (electronic or otherwise). The only problem is how to send it. At the moment I do not have a download site (if anyone knows of a free site that will do this, please let me know), so if you want to have a look, please email me and I will send the program. It is a standalone EXE file. If you need it with a different file suffix; TXT or EX_ etc, let me know.

There are no hidden traps, pitfalls, tricks or anything else that will cause grief to the user. The only thing the program will do to your system, is to save a couple of keys in the registry. These are only the location of the Solidworks program and the users language, for populating data in a combo box. This will slow the program start for the first time the program is run.

Also, this just proves the usefulness of this Newsgroup, Wayne Tiffany over there in the great US of A has been helping with debugging and improvements to the program. Another great Oz - USA collaboration.

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

You can post attachments on the SolidWorks Usergroup. I don't remember if you have to be on subscription to access it. You can then rightclick the file you posted and copy the link and post it here and all we should have to do is click the link here and download will pop up on the screen. Atleast in theory.

try this one

Corey Scheich

improvements

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Thanks Corey

  • Second post. Tried again as a single string link.
  • I have ZIPed it and posted the file. It seems to work.

Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Tony - Had no luck with this link - kept getting errors. I would be pleased to try it if you want to email it to me. To really assist the SolidWerks fellow traveler, you might try to model and animate the great Melbourne "Hook Turn". For the un-initiated, naive American, this inventive product of the Ozzian mind has the potential, if used worldwide, of taming the population explosion. It is a very low-cost solution enabling traffic congestion and is only slightly less difficult to describe than Cricket or Austrailian football.

I plan to be there next May and could use a refresher course.

Cheers bob

Reply to
rab

I just emailed you the latest version (2.1.6) that I have. Give it a try.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I have 2.1.7......

Lucky me.....

Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

Hi Bob I see Wayne has sent a copy to you. (thanks Wayne)

The error with the link is cased by the post line length chopping it into two line and therefore screwing up the link.

The latest version is now available free of charge (but don't let that stop anyone making donations...) on

and may soon be available on
with the kind assistance of Mr Pickles and Stefan.

For those that do not know. The Melbourne "Hook Turn" (for Left Hand Drive countries) is where you keep left on entering a signalled intersection and the turn right, supposedly after the lights change to the crossing direction. It's good for keeping the Tramlines free of cars, but only lets

3-5 cars through each change of lights. When I came to Oz in 1966, there was only 5 Hook turns and you had to name them for part of your driving licence test. Now there are a lot more, but well signposted if you have eyes in your forehead, or at least keep looking up at the tram lines.

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Yes...

Driv> Hi Bob

Reply to
D. Short

Hi David Is that how come you landed up in Dandenong, you were actually headed for Geelong?.....

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

One thing that needs to worked on is the error control when a document is not loaded in SolidWorks. There should just be a dialog telling you to load a document first and thats all, as it is the program continues to run the posts an error message before closing.

Also I can't get it to run, all I am getting is an error: Run-time error '75' Path/File access error.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Jeff Parker

What version of the program and what version of SW are you running? We addressed the issue of no SW file loaded some time ago. Check to see if you are running the latest (2.1.7) and then try again.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yes, that is the version I am using. I don't get the message when there is a part loaded, but I still get the runtime error.

Reply to
Jeff Parker

What SW version are you running?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Sorry, forgot to put that in the last post. SWX 2003 SP4.0

You would think that for a search engine that takes less than a second on average, they could post to a group faster than 3-9 hours. Just venting! Its been a long day.

Reply to
Jeff Parker

I will look into this, I have not been able to duplicate the situation. But then it is Saturday morning and I have just woken up. Looks like a bit of weekend work ahead.

re the error 75 problem. I think the problem may relate to the properties.txt file that should be on your system in the Solidworks folders. I will put an alternative routine over the weekend to populate the combo boxes if the file is not found.

I'll be back....

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Hopefully a new version will be out after the weekend, then you can all get the latest features. One in particular, is the ability to have the program stay on top with the click of a button.

Of course Wayne will get a special delivery as a collaborator.....

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Jeff, you need to get hooked up to the news server in Germany and use a reader. I was in the same situation and got so tired of waiting and waiting and now I'm a happy camper. For the most part it all happens in real time now.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I believe I have found the source of the error 75 and am fixing it