Newbie & Properties (Custom vs. Config)

Hi. I'm still kind of new to SW and I'm trying to determine the best way to set Properties up in my SW files.

In the Properties dialog, there's a tab for Custom properties, and another for Configuration Specific. Initially I had all of my custom properties set up in "Custom;" however I have recently learned how to use configurations (and the benefits of them) and I also now understand how to use Configuration Specific properties.

Rather than setting anything up in the "Custom" tab, I now think I should set everything up in the "Configuration Specific" tab. This way, these properties will be available whether I have multiple configurations or not.

Does that make sense? It does to me, but I want to make sure that there's not something I'm missing. Thanks!

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Use the Custom properties for properties that will be common to all configurations. Use the config specific, for properties that will be different from one config to the other. Also, config specific will override a custom property by the same name.

I use custom properties until the need arises for a config specific property, then I take advantage of the override behavior. Your needs may dictate another strategy. If you need to add a property to several configs at once, use a design table, which you will probably be doing anyway.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Hi Brian,

I set all of my custom properties in 'Configuration' as a large number of multi config parts that I create are done using a Design Table and I create the properties in the design table (do it once in the top row and use the concatenate function if you can, then you drag & fill the other configs).

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Brian,

You are absolutely correct in your assumptions. One thing you may not be aware of is if you have a custom property that is identical to a configuration property (i.e. material) -- the custom material will always be used as the default value no matter what configuration is used. As soon as you delete the custom property "material" SW then uses the correct configuration "material" property.

I only mention this as you stated you started out with custom properties prior to discovering configuration properties. Make sure you remove the custom properties (unless of course you want to use it for every configuration)to ensure correct information (configuration values) are being used.

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar

Feel free to use code from the program at this page:

I've recently repaired the site. Let me know if anything goes wrong, please.

Reply to
TheTick