Custom properties from ODBC

Anybody tried pulling custom properties from ODBS or SQL Server using SW macro

I think this is little bit over my head, but I'm willing to learn

Looking for some tutorials, code examples or anything to get me started

Reply to
mr.T

Hi

We offer a SolidWorks add-on that can do that "out-of-the-box". Take a look at ToolWorks ERP-Link

Download a trial from

Jess

Reply to
Jess G. Frandsen

This is all pretty but it is way too complicated for what I need.

I have existing DB +/-40K parts which can't be modified, all I'm looking for is macro that would take configuration name query it against the DB and fill the blanks inside custom properties

Reply to
mr.T

Here is a code fragment which gets the description of a part from a SQL database (we use it to ensure the part desciptions match between Solidworks & the database)

You need to have the Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects library selected for it to work.

Look under tools > references in the VBA editor

Private Sub getinfo Dim msg As String Dim style As String Dim SQLstr As String

Dim rsta As New ADODB.Recordset Dim conn As New ADODB.Connection

Set conn = New ADODB.Connection Set rsta = New ADODB.Recordset conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=******;" & _ "Persist Security Info=false;User ID=UserID;" & _ "Initial Catalog=ALLIANCE_ENG;Data Source=FINN;" On Error GoTo ErrHandler: conn.Open On Error GoTo 0

rsta.Open "SELECT DESCTEXT FROM Partmaster WHERE PARTNUMBER='" & Trim(Partno) & "'", conn

If rsta.EOF = False Then Description = CStr(rsta.Fields(0).value)

Else msg = "Part Not Found in Alliance Partmaster Database " style = vbExclamation MsgBox msg, style, title End If rsta.Close Set rsta = Nothing conn.Close Set conn = Nothing

ErrHandler: 'clean up If conn.State = adStateOpen Then conn.Close End If

Set conn = Nothing

If Err 0 Then MsgBox Err.Source & "-->" & Err.Description, , "Error" End If End Sub

Reply to
Craig