Make Drawing from Part / View Palette

The bullet-point version:

-How to access "Make Drawing from Part" through the API?

-If nobody knows how to do that, then my alternative is to try and get the same functionality through a series of equivalent commands, for which I need to figure out:

-What is the ID for the View Palette taskpane, and how do I interact with it once I've activated it?

-How do I "preload" a new document with a filename, without actually saving it?

The long version: I'm modifying a macro we use to find the drawings associated with a part; the macro looks for drawing files named using the part number, from a custom property. I'd like to add code so that if no drawing exists, the macro will automatically create one. The "file/make drawing from part" command does exactly what I want, but I can't find any documentation saying how to access it from the API. I've tried recording, but all it shows is NewDocument. Since that didn't work, I tried to reverse engineer the same functionality (open the View Palette taskpane, load views for the part, and give the drawing a tentative filename based on the part filename); however, I can't find an ID for the View Palette pane, and if I could I wouldn't know how to load a part there (recording a macro doesn't show anything happening). I'm also not sure how to get the drawing to "preload" with a filename derived from the part or some other source. I suspect most of what I want can be obtained by making the new drawing associate itself with the part somehow but I'm not quite sure how to do that, other than by inserting a view (which I don't want the macro to do)...

Thanks everyone,

-Mark

x-posted to SW forums

Reply to