Drawing view ref

Something I find myself desiring to do once in a while is change the model that a drawing view is referencing.

Say I have a drawing of a part and then later realize that the part has to have something added to it like a PEM nut. So the part in the model now becomes an assy, and I either want the part drawing to change to depict the assy instead, or I want to copy the drawing to the new part number and just change the model. Rather than starting over with a new drawing, it would be nice to be able to just tell a drawing view to look at a different model file.

Anyone know of a way, or is this going to have to be an enhancement request?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You can but not from a part to an assembly.

Close the file.

File>Open Find the file Select it click REFERENCES button Point it to a new file.

Going from parts that are created off of eachother (SaveAs) this saves alot of detail time. I use it all the time.

Reply to
CS

Oh, yeh, I forgot about finding references, but why not also allow an assy???

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I agree it seems if the origional part is within the assembly you could keep any references to it I suppose the orientation could be an issue though.

Corey

Reply to
CS

You all,

Please watch out in SW2005 SP 2.0 with the click references button when opening an assemly with new parts to reference. I did this, just like I used to do and bizzare things started happening. I sent this to our VAR and they confirmed that this method is broken.

Specifically, I had a simple assembly of three parts. I SavedAs the assembly with the copy checkbox checked to a new name.

Then I opened each of the parts individually and SavedAs to a new folder and new name (with the checkbox checked). This all could have been done using SWExplorer, but with a simple assembly, I usually don't waste the time.

Anyway, then I open the SavedAs assembly but change the REFERENCES first by editing each of the file strings to locate the newly saved as parts. The assembly opens up with the correct parts, but the original assembly has been changed also. Note that the original assembly was never closed, so somehow the parts were changed in the original assembly also when I changed the file path string in the other assembly.

Like I said, bizzare stuff that didn't used to happen.

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Waligora, R

You know I did similar on 2004 SP 4.2 Save as and change the references while savingAs. One time it seemed to work fine but the next time I tried it it seems to have over written the origional referenced file. Anyway I thought I had done something wrong since It was actually the first time I tried to do it at this junction. Normally I save as copy open the copy and change the references while opening. I had no problems doing it this way.

Corey

Reply to
CS