Way to extract custom properties out of a SW file via VBA?

Hi

Is there a way to extract the custom porperties out of a SW file using VBA? Similar to what the Explorer can do when right-clicking a SW file, 3rd tab.

Thank you Marcel Büchi

Reply to
Marcel Büchi

Download SWIT and see for yourself.

I believe this is also documented in the API help and on the SW API support pages.

Reply to
TOP

"TOP" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

I was looking for a way to get the custom properties without having to use SW. I can extract properties from files when loaded into SW by using MS Access and and VBA to store the information in a table. But that's not what I want. I'd like to process somewheres around 20000 SW files and saving the custom props in an Access table. Similar to the VBA Function GetAttr(Path of file)

I'd be nice to have a function like: GetCustomProperties(Path of file)

Marcel

Reply to
Marcel Büchi

There is an object called "DSOfile" (see Microsoft's website) that can be added to VB projects. This object will enable you to access custom properties without opening files in SW.

Reply to
That70sTick

DSOFILE... (google that one!)

That would enable one to quickly view/ extract Document Custom Properties without opening the SW document in SolidWorks, but not Configuration Specific Custom Properties which is the one that is very much in demand!

Regards,

Vinodh Kumar M.

GreenHex

The problem is that there are configuration specific and document custom properties. The former requires SW and the later can be done without opening SW. There have been detailed discussions on this group regarding this subject. You might do a search.

Reply to
TOP

Thanks to all Dsofile worked perfect. I got now an Access table with the drawing numbers and for each the custom properties! Thanks Marcel

"GreenHex" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Marcel Büchi

I think that everything you need you can get from Solidsentry.

agnaldo.neves

I downloaded SWIT, and couldnt figure out why it wont show my existing custom propertys. I put my custom properties in the "Custom" tab, not the "Configuration Specific" tab. We dont use configurations very much here, if any, but are their any advantages to using the "Configuration Specific" tab just for the Default config?

Is there a way to get SWIT to look at the Custom Tab?

Reply to
SW Monkey

No, it's using only conf.specific stuff. Custom tab is for losers that don't know how to use configurations ;-)

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Markku, wtf? hehe

Im sure our company can use configurations on some of our parts, but the majority would never need them.

Is there a way to get SWIT to look at that other tab?

Reply to
SW Monkey

Hi ProxiCAD Is this nifty tool available in German language?

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Marcel Büchi

You can still save the information by using configuration specific data...at the end there is no difference; you create drawing and BOM, data is read from the model...There is always that "Default" configuration you know...:-)

I think it's better to handle it this way because you don't usually know if there is going to be configs or not in the future...and if that happens you don't have to play with the properties (move them from custom side to config side...)

I don't have any plans for that...there is a free tool for that already (it's not using configurations at all thought). There are also tools to move the props from custom side to config side I guess.

But...I understood that your problem is existing models, so I feel your pain. Maybe SWit 3 will have this option (if there ever will be next version).

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

All you have to do is pass an empty string to ModelDoc2.GetCustomProperty("","Property Name) this will get non config specific properties. Or you can use the DSOLE file .exe as mentioned above it can only get non config specific properties.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Markku, what free tool is that?

"I don't have any plans for that...there is a free tool for that already (it's not using configurations at all thought). "

Reply to
SW Monkey

Google, my man, google...:-)

Markku

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

If you *are* in the mood for trying out different CP editors, you could try the free "swCP3" or maybe "swProp2" available at

With regards,

Vinodh Kumar M.

GreenHex

Pretty cool. I played with it a bit today. This thing seems to have some depth to it.

Reply to
TOP

Hi , All

I'm looking for way to extract custom properties from mt Solidworks parts to excel. I'll appricate to get a ready utility for that

Regards

Avi

Reply to
avif