easy way to add custom property to a bunch of templates

Is there an easier way to add custom properties to my template files without opening each one and adding them?

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

Only through macros. If you only have acouple of templates it wouldn't be worth it, but if you have a larger group and don't have network originating templates it might be worth the time.

Use dsoFile.dll Google it in this NG it has been discussed many times with examples. It can edit a file's custom properties without opening the file in SW, very fast. It doesn't do configuration specific properties though those you would have to open in SW and edit them using SW api

Reply to
CS

Answered my own question:

Actually I found an easier way. Right click on the file in explorer and select PROPERTIES. Here you can add custom properties a heck of a lot faster than opening each file in solidworks.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

I'll be darned -- that's a new one on me. At first I thought that you must be talking about SolidWorks Explorer, but just to be sure I tried it with Windows Explorer and, sure enough, there is a "Custom" tab in the Properties dialog box. It has all the Custom Properties listed there and a way to add new ones with Name, Type and Value inputs. Unfortunately the tab doesn't appear when you select multiple template files, but it's a shortcut worth remembering anyway. Learn something new every day . . . thanks Jeff.

'Sporky'

Sporkman

Just tried it too, shame you can't work with Configuration specific properties.

You might want to look at these two utilities.

1/ Custom Property Propagater
Custom Property Manager
I use No2 everyday saves me lot of time. No 1 is incredibly useful when needing to update several files / folders.

Regards

John Layne Solid Engineering Ltd

Reply to
John Layne

Task Scheduler should do it, too.

Evan

Reply to
Evan T. Basalik

Jeff, here is a link to a free utility that will change, delete, or add only custom properties (won't work on configuration specific properties)in bulk. I use it on every project, many of my custom properties are linked to my drawing templates, so it saves a lot of time. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Mark

Mark McCumber

Here are a few utilities...

..