2004 WELDMENTS- custom properties Application needed

does anyone have something for quickly adding properties to cut list items for weldment items?

I have some large weldments and need to add properties faster this is painfull do it manually

Reply to
Ryan Hay- SDSI

If your weldment components have been made from 'standard' sections, you could have added the custom properties when you created the weldment library feature - then every time that you add a 'standard' member to your weldment & created the weldment cut list, it would have auto completed the custom properties (except for Mass - haven't got that one working yet). If you want an example, let me know and I will send you a sample (Australian steels only).

Sorry but this does not help your current situation - haven't seen any add-ins to do what you are after.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Ryan I have released a program "SWX Properties" to make handling Properties a lot easier. It is available on

with thanks to Craig. It is available free of charge with absolutely no strings attached (electronic or otherwise).

I am currently modifying the program to include using template file to populate SWX files with properties that you extract from another file.

With the current version, you could modify the Properties.txt file in //Solidworks/lang/english (or other language) to add the property names you would normally use to the standard list.

Regards Tony O'Hara

Reply to
Tony

Tony,

Will this work with weldment properties ?? These are properties of the individual bodies and NOT of the part! e.g. I could not get Mass to be auto inserted into the cut list properties as it has a different syntax.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Ryan,

You might give this free utility a try from TriMech Solutions:

ChangeCustomProperties

users to make bulk changes to custom properties for all files in directories, including subdirectories. Add, Delete, or Rename custom properties, for Parts, Assemblies, and/or Drawings, without even entering SolidWorks!

Reply to
matmanuel_NOSPAM

Hi Merry Looks like I have a bit of investigating to do, I will have to get back to you later on this.

I don't like the way SWX creates a new part file for each weldments and clutters up the Folders. They should build the details of weldments into the file in a similar fashion to Fillets etc.

Regards Tony O'Hara

Reply to
Tony

Nice Program, but as you almost certainly are aware, none of us have managed to change Configuration properties outside of the SWX environment. One day SWX may provide the tools to do this.

Having said that. It is a dangerous thing to have, being able to change details without opening the file, as the chances are, someone will change some details without any regard to the consequences, such as changes to the assembly BOM's etc.

Now I have pushed the case for and against the ability to change Config Properties outside SWX, I will leave you all to ponder

Regards Tony O'Hara. PS maybe it was the couple of glasses of good Aussie Red that led to this diatribe.

Reply to
Tony

according to apisupport, it's done through Feature:CustomPropertyManager. So now you can have custom properties in features :-/ Which are used to build tables in drawings... Looks your "SWX Properties" has a bright future, Tony!

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti