Mirroring a part, is it necessary inside of an assy?

Whenever I mirror a part, the mates never transfer from the mirrored part, so I have to remate the new part. The planes and origin in the mirrored part is also screwed up, resulting in an origin that is in space somewhere.

Is it possible to create a mirrored part from just the part, not the assy?

How can I fix the planes and origin in a mirrored part?

What is the "correct" way of mirroring a part?

Reply to
SW Monkey

Sure, In a part, simply select a plane or planer face in which you would like the new part to be mirrored about. Click: Insert> Mirror Part. It will prompt you for what items you would like to mirror other than the solid body (Cosmetic Threads, Axis, etc.). Select the ones you want and click OK. Done...

Your planes and origins will be an exact mirror of the original as well.

Hope this helps. Seth

Reply to
Seth Renigar
1 open part 2 Select mirror plane 3 Insert --> Mirror Part 4 save new file 5 mate into assembly 6 Done

Steve Tietz

Reply to
Steve Tietz (renderman)

What it seems you want to accomplish is quite easy while working within a single part file.

Simply select the plane or face with which you want to "reflect" the part and then use Insert/Mirror Part (from the main menu) to automatically create a new part.

The new part can have features added to it which do NOT appear in the original; however, through association, any change made to the original "source" part will show up in the mirrored copy.

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

I recommend making a configuration called "mirror" in the part first. Then mirror that configuration. Later you will be able to add features to either part independently from the same part file.

Joe

Reply to
joe(usenews)