Mirroring 3D sketches about a plane?

Hello,

As the title suggests. I want to know the best way to mirror 3D sketches about a plane? It is in reference to creating mirrored guide curves about a plane of syemtery for a loft of a symetrical part.

Cheers

Bullman

Reply to
Bullman

Hello,

As the title suggests. I want to know the best way to mirror 3D sketches about a plane? It is in reference to creating mirrored guide curves about a plane of symmetry for a loft of a symmetrical part.

Cheers

Bullman

Reply to
Bullman

You can't, SW Corp believes it's not needed, despite repeated request for this functionality which has been in other 3d modelers for over a decade!

You can only mirror 2d sketch entities when in a 2d sketch mode... so, I would guess SW Corp will milk our subscription money away by "offering" the paying users the ability to mirror resolved 2D sketches in a future release.... that is, first, they will "ask" through a "survey" if mirroring a resolved 2D sketch is wanted!?!?!?....then,..... in a later release,.... they will ask in a similar "survey" if 3dsketches would be useful to mirror!?!?!?.... then they will have beta's of course,... and then they will hold off on releasing the functionality because the new functionality is unstable (read, quality issues),.. then the future mirror functionality will have limitations and bugs which you will have to wait for until the next release,...

Workaround,.. surface extrude or loft (doesn't have to be pretty) your

3dsketch or 2D sketch and mirror the surface body so you can use the edge on the surface body for your gc.

.. (SW Corp, you guys SUCK!)

Reply to
Paul Salvador

As Paul says so colorfully, no, you can't do that directly.

Another workaround that's possibly less messy is to constrain the profiles symmetrically. So you have a centerline constrained to the plane of symmetry and constrain one side of the profile spline to the side of the GC you can create, and give the control points on the other side of the spline symmetrical across the CL.

Good luck,

Matt

Reply to
matt

If SW Corp don't believe it's necessary, then that is ridiculuous. How can it NOT be needed/useful? Is there any official response from SW on this seemingly obviously needed feature? Im generally happy with SW but this just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the workaround.

Bullman

Reply to
Bullman