Assembly Statistics and BOM's list different quanties

I posted some large assembly statistics and Paul seemed to feel that the part count was very small. I knew that the assembly had numerous repeated parts (i.e. fasteners) so at first I didn't think anything about it. But, just to make sure I inserted the assembly into a drawing and inserted a BOM. It was the new 2004 SW BOM. The part count jumped to 167 parts not 120 as listed in the Assembly Statistics. An Excel BOM listed 161 parts not 120 or

167, and summing the parts yielded 12669 parts not the new assembly statistics count of 13278.

Nothing seems to count the same. Any ideas what's happening or should we start manually counting parts.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Chasteen

P.S. I was a little snippy with my reply to Paul and would like to apologize. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of large assembly performance and thought that his comments were trying to indicate that I wasn't reporting accurately. Since I was reading off of the assembly statistics I got a little out of sorts. Sorry.

I know that there are several things that I'm doing to try and maximize large assembly performance and I know that others are having problems. I just can't quit figure out what it is that is allowing me to have such good performance or from their comment to ascertain what is causing them problems.

I still want to pursue the issues.

Phil, if you can send me a copy of your large assembly I would really like to look at it.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Chasteen

I did the same test here....brought one of my bigger assys.....total number of components: 7097...parts: 6329.... into a drawing and there is a differance here as well...Assembly statictics sais 776 uniqe parts and excel-bom sais 785 parts, new bom sais 795 parts...both boms set to parts only....... I saved the excel bom as an excel file and the other bom as text file and compared them. My excel boms save a plate with two configs (a drilled hole might be the difference) as one part duplicated, while new bom saves it as two parts....one of each...that's the difference between the boms..as I gussed from start. Guess the difference between assy stat's and bom has something to do with configs as well, but not sure.

Krister L

Tom Chasteen skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:q16xb.35$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...

Reply to
Krister L

Tom,

If you use configs, you'll get a different count between the two BOM's. The new bom looks at configs as a different item number per config. This would cause your Item count to increase. The excel bom looks at configs as 1 item with a quantity of X per cfg. This may explain your disparity. As far as the assembly stats go, I don't know what's causing the difference there.

MT

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Ever feel like your talking to yourself. LOL

Tom Chasteen wrote:

Reply to
1

All the time!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Chasteen

You were getting snippy?? Didn't notice. :)

There was a presentation at one of the WMUG meetings about BOM counts and how to get the right stuff. If you look at the WMUG website (which I have forgotten the location to) you should still find the VB code and discussion.

If you want to see snippy see what happens with purchasing when the BOM is wrong.

Paul

Tom Chasteen wrote:

Reply to
kellnerp