2005 sp3 assembly weirdness

I just applied sp3 this AM, now I'm editing an assembly that's been around for a couple years, the base part is fully defined and can not move when I try to drag it, as are all but two parts to which I just deleted a couple of assy mates.

When I drag the one of the free parts the entre assembly moves around, completely hosing the structure. If I try to drag any of the parts that just moved SW states that the item is Fully Defined and Can Not move.

Sumptin's broke.

Reply to
hayduke

hayduke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@chili.com:

Hmm, yeah, that's strange.

Do you have any Fixed parts? (not fully mated, but Fixed with the (f) in front of them in the tree?)

If your base part isn't fixed, is it mated to assembly planes?

The main possibility that comes to mind (that doesn't require something you wouldn't expect) is that some part other than the base part is fixed, and the base part is just mated to other parts which are allowed to move.

I would also check subassemblies, flexible subassemblies and incontext.

Actually, I would also go through and look at all the mates in the top level and subassemblies. SW has this way of not showing mate errors at the top level sometimes, and of mates getting lost or at least not shown where they should be shown.

Reply to
matt

Yes, the base parts is mated to the top level assy planes. Sadly this is a top level, top-level assy with (according to Assembly Statistics) 591 top level mates, 483 top level components, 374 bodies (mostly suppressed hardware).

Time to put on my miners hat and start digging...

BTW- I 'rolled back' to SP2 and it made no difference, seems liek I've seen assembly mates get messed up when saving them to newer versions, this was a

2004 file last week, today is the first time I've tried to edit mates.

Thanks Whit

matt wrote:

Reply to
hayduke

Looks like something's messed up with one or more of the configs in this assy. It I go to the Complete Assy with everything unsuppressed (all the fasteners, etc) things work as they should, if I go to one with all the fasteners suppressed, it's crapo.

I might look around for the 2004 version of this file to see if it was broken back then, but I've got work to do...

Whit

Reply to
hayduke

Whit

I've have seen issues here where a mate near the bottom to the tree causes components at he top to go under defined and float around. I assume something gets confused in the database as most times deleting and recreating the same mates or deleting the part then bringing it back in and using the same mates works ok.

When this happens I usually suppress parts from the bottom up until I find the one causing the problem.

AC

To reply via email remove all numbers from address

Reply to
AC

Sounds like the fasteners are involved in mating the parts, for example Part A concentric with Bolt 1 and Bolt 1 concentric with Part B. That would break the A to B relationship when the fasteners are suppressed.

A trick I found a few years ago makes mate analysis a lot easier: Split the feature tree into 2 panes and activate the Properties tab for one of them. If you left click on a component, the Properties pane will show all the mates from that component to any other components. If you Control Left Click on another component, its mates are added to the list, and any mates *between* the two selected components are shown in boldface

Art

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm still looking for the problem, but since I've got a stable config I'm focusing on getting the subassembly revisions and drawings done first. You know how it goes, the project got approved Tuesday, by gosh and it's already Thursday, "Where are those drawings!?" Looks like it's going to be a loong weekend.

Reply to
hayduke