SWW Advanced Modeling presentations

The "Advanced Modeling 101 and 201" presentation and files are now available for conference attendees in the Monday section at:

Previously, SW part and assembly files were not part of the zip file for both presentations (including the Art of Real presentation on Wednesday). They are now included in all three presentations.

Regards Mark Biasotti SolidWorks Corporation

Reply to
mbiasotti

What does this link do for use it just takes us to the solidworks world

2006 stuff. These is nothing to download to look at or anything else. Why post something like this if it take us to where the files are so we can look at them. I guess if you did not get to attend you are just out of luck on seeing what solidworks have to offer even if your maintance is paid.
Reply to
Randy

Unfortunately, you're right. Only attendees can access the files from SWW. I'm thankful that my boss realized how worthwhile it would be to send us. Hopefully, he'll be in the same frame of mind for SWW2007 in New Orleans.

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

It is too bad...

In comparison... The SWW conference could be treated like the OSA, SPIE, IEEE meetings (and I am sure there are others). If I pay my yearly "member" dues (Ultra low in comparison to SW) I still have access to presentations, either free or for a small fee. However SW is not a "Society" it is a business, and therefore needs to seek profit.

As for this years SWW2006, I had to call SW and cancel due to an accident the week before, so I too am "out of luck".

The comparative cost of SW maintenance and "my use" of a VAR, says that I am basically paying $2Kyr for SW software updates. As a side note, my Florida VAR was in the middle of dissolving and reforming last year, so the one time I called, of course, the message was never returned. I got the answer here on this newsgroup... Sometimes a VAR does not actually add value, it does not mean they cannot, I just mean they might not help out that company or person for the current years subscription fee. Sometimes I get a warranty, and hopefully never use it. For me the subscription service is like a warranty or insurance... I only use it when needed, and sometimes not at all.

I always get more help from this group than from most any other source, Thank You All! I think the main reason the group is helpful is because it is a wide cross section of people from diverse fields... much like a "society".

I love SolidWorks, it is by far the best in many ways (and yet affordable)

3D CAD software out there, but as a small business, it is difficult to keep up with the subscriptions every year, basically $166.67 a month to use the software I "bought" for about $9K... I am paying that now, and would think the SWW info could be included as an extra.

Does the SWW registration fee pay for the SWW Lectures/Product Demos sessions? Or does it break even? If so then extra costs are needed.

Maybe I (or we) could pay a little more subscription service fees per year and have a "Premium" version of the "SW Office Premium Subscription", and thus have access to the SWW Lectures/Product Demos for free? Or maybe, a software subscription fee exclusive of a VAR. i.e. You get software updates only, for those not needing/wanting help. Or does SW want us to need help??? I hope Microsoft doesn't hear about this!

Do advanced users of SW actually use a VAR's services?

We all see even medium sized businesses be hurt be all of the extra fees, I do not even want to think of multiple seats, yikes!

And one more thing which fits in because it is update and subscription driven: and that is backwards file compatibility. I bring this up because I must wait to use my new version (up to a 3 or 4 months) that I paid big $$ for waiting for the "shops" to play catch up. I have also waited on large companies with very little or no cash problems, just due to the "IT" issues of installing more than one seat...

The solution allows anyone for example at SW 2003 (or higher) to communicate and share drawings with the most current version (SW2006 - sp3.4 at the time of this post) at all times. Simply have a version selection button (example: 2003, 2004, 2005) on the most current version of SWs. If say SW2004 is selected, then the current SW2006 software does not use features available after that SW2004 version. That way when the file can be read by the SW2004 version user (at the small shop) even though it was created by the newest version of SW, which as said before has 2005 and higher functions "grayed" out. At least you could work back say a few versions/years without too much remembering "older" ways of functioning features etc. Even back one version would help speed the change over, at least for me. You can upgrade and still know you can talk to someone who is "SW update lagging" for one reason or another.

I do not mean to upset anyone, I have great respect for everyone here... But I would like to know others feelings on this...

Aron SW2006 - sp3.3, & Current Subscription Service

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

Aron,

It will take large corporate users to influence these ridiculous subscription fees and policies set by SW's and other CAD company's. Large corporations with multiple seats surely aren't getting their moneys worth from subscription payments. And the argument that subscription money 350,000 seats x $1295/seat = $453,250,000 is needed for development is marketing BS (software is developed offshore for lower wages). Maybe you know someone attending the event that will forward the presentations.

Write a letter to SW CEO

Maybe you should be thanking SW for accepting your subscription money, giving you two SP's per year, one of which is worthless, and expecting all users to attend SW World so they can receive free copies of the presentations.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

I can guarantee you that large multi seat clients aren't paying $1,300 per seat for support. VAR's rake 50% of the subscription cost off the top. So the first thing they would offer a large seat installation is a subscription discount. Additionally if the numbers are beyond a certain size (200 if memory serves me correct) SolidWorks corp gets involved in the "negotiations". This is how the piping module came about many years ago. Halliburton (yes that Halliburton) wanted to be able to do piping and they were looking at 200 seats and thus it became so.

Good luck. It won't come close to getting to him. CEO's surround themselves with so many layers of hierarchy to minimize having to relate to the "real" world of their customers.

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Aron, I and others have said similar things, and indeed we need to get the ear of SolidWorks people to get proper input, which is hard.

Mark Biasotti, of SolidWorks, started this thread, and he noted in another thread today/yesterday that he will be attending the "post-op" on SolidWorks World with SWks management shortly. So there is some hope he brings good issues into the discussion @ Swks.

My feeling for getting myself heard when the noise level is high is to stick preferably to one issue, maybe two, and never more than 3 in a note, and label them 1, 2 (& 3 if you must). It is almost impossible for an employee of a large company like SolidWorks to read all the posts out in cyberspace about their product and weed out the Cliff-hangers and find the nuggets, so give them concise points, and we hope it works.

Bo

Reply to
Bo