saving drawing for changed part

I model a part. I spend considerable time detailing the drawing.

I make a small change to the part, create a new part from the old part, and I need to create a new drawing preferably using the old drawing with minor updates.

What is the correct way to bring both the changed model and the detailed drawing together under a new name? I have been opening the model and the drawing then saving as the new model and drawing under a new name, but that doesn't seem to work correctly all the time. Sometimes the drawing will not update with the new model.

SW 2008 SP 3.1

Thanks!

Reply to
dlevy

It should work as long as you have the drawing open at the time of the save as of the part. It will see the change and update the reference. If you forget, you can go to the open dialog, select the drawing, and set the reference to the new part name.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

When opening a drawing you have an option to change the reference part or assembly file that drawing uses to make the views. Just select your new drawing. Another way is to open the drawing first, open the referenced part or assembly, change it's name, then change the name of the drawing.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Thank you !!!!!!

Reply to
dlevy

Thank you!!!!!!!

Reply to
dlevy

Another way, is to use Pdmworks!

I think this is the only thing that works great in Pdmworks,BTW

I set up a vault on my user pc,(main vault on server), check-in drawing into new vault, (part automattically follows), copy project and rename the documents in the options boxes. This method will also re-link the new drawing document to the new part automatically. This method will also re-link weld beads references to the new documents as a bonus, when copying assemblies!

This method also means that you keep a copy of the changed and unchanged part for reference. =2E

Reply to
pfarnham

This method works if you want to make new vaults, but most of use can't or won't do this. For example, I don't install the admin software on anyone's computer.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

You can also used SWExplorer to change references. In fact you can do the whole deal there, copy the drawing and part, rename them and make sure the drawing references the new part.

Of course whichever method you choose if you cause the part to change edges and faces your dims will likely go dangling.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Matt, each to their own, But as I am the vault admin, muliple vaults is not a problem for me and this method provides a great time saver feature. Also like you I would not put the vault admin software on user pc's.

But what this post was about, was giving different methods of achieving the same result.

Not everyone works the same way.

Eating pizza everyday will get you fat, but it is nicer to get fat by eating different foods everyday.

:-)

Reply to
pfarnham