avoid dimensioning from scratch?

I have a part with a detailed machine drawing. I make a revision to the part and need to update the drawing. I currently have to create the drawing from scratch.

Is there a way to save both the part and drawing as a new revision?

Thanks.

Reply to
dlevy

The easiest way is:

Open the drawing of the existing revision. Select the references button. A new window will pop up (References) Rename the file name to the new revision name. Confirm the selection (select ok or apply or whatever you need to succeed) Change the file name of the part if you want them to match which I assume you do.

This will give both the part and the drawing a new revision. It will also create the part for you with the new name.

Reply to
KMaren

Thanks Ken. I can't seem to find a "references button". Do you mean in the "save as" dialog box? If so, no references appear.

I did get it to work but used another method. I opened only the part and the drawing. I saved the part as a new name and then saved the drawing with the new name. I then closed the old part and checked to make sure everything saved correctly.

Reply to
dlevy

You did it the best way. If you can't do it that way, you can do it the way Ken suggested. Highlight the "old" drawing in the File Open box. Then select References down at the lower right. This brings up another box. Check the box under New pathname, then double click on the new pathname and browse to the "new" part or assembly. If it is easier, you can slow click twice on the new pathname and type in the new one. Then hit OK to close the box and Open to open the drawing with the new reference. Now rename the drawing and save it. As you can see, your way is a lot easier.

Jerry Steiger