PDM Mass Drawing Backup

Hello all,

I am looking for a way of making a CD to send to a client. THe project has 300+ parts and assemblies and 100+ drawings. The solid models are easy to get them (open top level assembly and select all under references and uncheck the open now box and and dump them all into the desired directory) but when it comes to getting the drawings out of the PDM vault for a certain project and copying them to a local directory to put them on a CD. The problem at least what i have found is that you manually have to open every single drawing separately and unclick the open now box and change the "save in" path to the desired path. And repeat and repeat and repeat until all done. There has to be a better way and less time consuming method.

Any help or shortcuts would be a great help........

Thanks Doug Rodenkirch

Reply to
Doug Rodenkirch

Doug,

I don't know what PDM you have (I'm guessing PDMworks) but what you're talking about is not something you should do manually. We use RevZone from which you can do exactly that, an export through "Briefcase" and this is then imported from the other side exactly with all links and relationships. The client works on the files, exports the project and we re-import it back with everything in order (including revision history of any changes he's made as well)

Regards

T.Brown

Reply to
T.Brown

Doug,

Right click on project and select BackupTools "CreatezipofAssembliesPartsandDrawings" Go for coffee and when you come back you have a zip file waiting for you. DBWorks2004. Which PDM system are you using?

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar

Len,

I am currently using PDM/works 2001. Which is a problem because we must work in whatever our client has or requests. Is DBWorks2004 the PDM version for 2004 release? Which we are not using at this time.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Rodenkirch

Doug,

I'm having a difficult time reconciling the fact you must use whatever your client has or requests (PDM?)--- yet are burning a CD for them?

Are you porting PDM data directly to your client in a 1:1 relationship? (i.e. mirrored site) or are you just supplying them with finished documentation? Do they import the PDM stucture into their system?

If it is the latter, what concern is it of the client other than it being a "controlled" system in which you can export the finished structure to them?

Could you please provide more information?

DBWorks2004 is a SW PDM Add-In by a third party (Gold Partner - MechWorks). It is a very capable product. One I quickly adopted and recommend to my clients -- even after using PDM\Works for 3 years.

Len K. Mar, PEng. President, E-data Solutions

Reply to
Len K. Mar

Len,

Without going deep into it, i work for a contract engineering firm. So when our client approached us for this job our objective was to take a product from sketches to production. We are in the pre-production stage and are required to send out all drawings and solid models as requested by various vendors. As far as being required to use 2001+ and PDM/works its our clients request and has to do with Federal Requlations (FDA)and their internal audits. It was something new to our firm but we have to abide to their standards. As far as PDM side is concerned our firm is the only company in this project using PDM/works so we can track revisions. So whenever our client or vendor asks for drawings or in my case a complete database backup once a week it gets time consuming. I know this might not make since its a strange situation. Sorry if its still confusing but the short version is i need to get info out of PDM/works2001 in a rather simple and timeless manner.

I hope this helps and thanks for you help on this issue.

Doug Rodenkirch

Reply to
Doug Rodenkirch