Section View

Doesn't seem possible to use the cross section tool on a part composed of surfaces. The section view shows up in preview, then disappears once I click OK. Am I missing something here?

2004/SP4.2

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Doesn't surprise me. If the part is all surfaces and they haven't been knit into solids how does the software know which side of the surface is inside and which is outside? If it doesn't know that it can't determine which areas are enclosed. I used to run into this with Pro/E when Pro/E would substitute surface fillets for solid fillets when it got into trouble.

Can you knit the surfaces > Doesn't seem possible to use the cross section tool on a part

composed of

Reply to
P.

My knowledge of surfacing is limited at best. I don't understand what you mean by "knowing which side of the surface is inside or outside" or the distinction between parts and section views composed of surfaces. If a part (surfaces) can be visually displayed without knowing which side of the surface is inside or out, then why not sectioned surfaces? As I mentioned before, the software can display the parts cross sectional surfaces while in preview mode. It's when I click on OK the section view reverts back to a complete part.

Thanks, Kman

Reply to
Kman

Let's start simple. Extrude a box in SW. Now use the delete face command. Remove one face and delete it (look in the Insert Face menu). What do you have left?

Answer: 5 surfaces.

What's inside?

Answer: Nothing

Now create a section view. Make the section cut the box in half. Then roll back you model to before the delete face.

So SW really doesn't model solids as solids, it models them as stitched together surfaces. You have been us> My knowledge of surfacing is limited at best. I don't understand what you

Reply to
P.

Try selecting the view Insert>ModelItems Select surfaces.

Corey

Reply to
CS