Unexpected Benefit of 2004's Section View Capability

After importing an IGES file of an assembly with components represented by surfaces that could not be stitched into solids directly (or easily without a lot of manual patching), I nonetheless had the need to quickly view it in cross-section.

I knew that without valid solids there was no way to actually cut through the assembly to view the interior so, with nothing to lose, the View/Display/Section View (main menu option) was put to the test.

The results (in shaded mode) were excellent and quite useful for visualization, even though the sectioning only works in preview.

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

snipped-for-privacy@draeger.com (Per O. Hoel) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I've used this as well. What I don't understand is why they can "section" the surfaces in preview, but then not when you commit to the view for real. Perhaps there are times when it is useful this way, but most of the time when I want to view a section of a model, I want it to cut off everything, surface or solid.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

Reply to