No wireframe in SolidWorks Viewer

I don't know whether Solidworks Corp removed the Viewer's capability to show models in wireframe only or whether it was never there, but it seems that the Viewer lacks this capability. I have a client who wants to create his own wireframe views and annotate them for a patent application and I don't know how to give him that capability. eDrawings only creates very crude wireframe views . . . not quality enough for patent drawings. Anybody have a suggestion?

TIA, 'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Spork,

Have you tried saving the file with fast HLR-HLV (the little box with the lightning bolt) on. I think this saves a tesselated wireframe for the viewer to read.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Sporky,

I test a simple part drawing created with SW2004 SP3.0, with the views set to wireframe. I was able to display the drawing successfully in the SolidWorks Viewer SP2.1 version. Didn't try any later or earlier versions.

John

Reply to
John Picinich

Reply to
Sporkman

Hi Sporkman.

I personally would vote for them to merge these two applications into one, taking the best from both. I commonly find that when I'm using this one, I wish for functionality of the other and so on.

I wonder if there is a compelling reason why this would not work. I'm sure some programmer somehere is rolling his eyes and saying "man, he just does not get it, does he?" . . .

The configs thing would be at the top of my list for both packages as well.

One thing I absolutely love is e-drawings is the model view conrol in the tree - hide others, transparency control and how the models are show & hidden, and so on. In my mind SolidWorks itself would be so much nicer if this were implemented in the editor. I find myself whishing for solidworks to be a good a e-drawings viewer in this regard - now that's a scary thought.

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

imho, viewer prints slddrw's with higher quality (fonts & lineweights). i like edrawings, but this lack of print quality has always been a pet peeve of mine.

Reply to
kenneth b

Mark,

Have you looked at ModelPress Publisher/Viewer for customer communications? The price is right-- $0

I use it frequently for design reviews. It's much more capable than SW Viewer.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Art,

Yea, it's a good product. Small files and you can acually measure them !!!

Not really free though. The publisher has a two week time limit. A license for the publisher is $600.00.

The viewer is free, but if you want to actually use it, it'll cost ya.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Mark,

I haven't used the publisher for a few weeks and tried it today. It warned that the license for version 4.0 had expired, so I went to the Web site and downloaded the latest version (4.1). I uninstalled the old version and installed the new one without any problems.

The Web site really does say the product is free for corporate and personal use. There is a license fee to bundle the software with another product. See:

I've heard a comment somewhere that the forced renewal is just to keep users on the latest release. Anyway, I'm still using the product, and haven't had to part with $600.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Wow, that's news to me also, Art. I had the Publisher app loaded a while back and liked it pretty well, but the license did time out on me. After that I just uninstalled it and never tried it again. Thanks for mentioning it.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Hi All,

Art W is right on. Modelpress is free and does require updating (every six to eight months) to the latest (free) version. More info:

Thanks, Informative Graphics Corp.

Reply to
kevin