No wireframe in SolidWorks Viewer

I don't know whether Solidworks Corp removed the Viewer's capability to show models in wireframe only or whether it was never there, but it
seems that the Viewer lacks this capability. I have a client who wants to create his own wireframe views and annotate them for a patent application and I don't know how to give him that capability. eDrawings only creates very crude wireframe views . . . not quality enough for patent drawings. Anybody have a suggestion?
TIA, 'Sporky'
Spork,
Have you tried saving the file with fast HLR-HLV (the little box with the lightning bolt) on. I think this saves a tesselated wireframe for the viewer to read.
Regards
Mark

Sporky,
I test a simple part drawing created with SW2004 SP3.0, with the views set to wireframe. I was able to display the drawing successfully in the SolidWorks Viewer SP2.1 version. Didn't try any later or earlier versions.
John

Thanks John and also Mark Mossberg. I've saved as wireframe and I'm sending the design that way now -- should have thought of that. The Viewer is just SO limited!! Can't even explode/collapse, much less view configurations. What a next-to-useless application!! eDrawings is better by far, except (again) the wireframe is such poor quality with it.
Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC http://www.h2omarkdesign.com
John Picinich wrote:

Hi Sporkman.
I personally would vote for them to merge these two applications into one, taking the best from both. I commonly find that when I'm using this one, I wish for functionality of the other and so on.
I wonder if there is a compelling reason why this would not work. I'm sure some programmer somehere is rolling his eyes and saying "man, he just does not get it, does he?" . . .
The configs thing would be at the top of my list for both packages as well.
One thing I absolutely love is e-drawings is the model view conrol in the tree - hide others, transparency control and how the models are show & hidden, and so on. In my mind SolidWorks itself would be so much nicer if this were implemented in the editor. I find myself whishing for solidworks to be a good a e-drawings viewer in this regard - now that's a scary thought.
Regards,
SMA
imho, viewer prints slddrw's with higher quality (fonts & lineweights). i like edrawings, but this lack of print quality has always been a pet peeve of mine.
snipped-for-privacy@bigfootDOT.com says...

Mark,
Have you looked at ModelPress Publisher/Viewer for customer communications? The price is right-- $0
http://www.modelpress.com /
I use it frequently for design reviews. It's much more capable than SW Viewer.
Art W.
Art,
Yea, it's a good product. Small files and you can acually measure them !!!
Not really free though. The publisher has a two week time limit. A license for the publisher is $600.00.
The viewer is free, but if you want to actually use it, it'll cost ya.
Regards
Mark
says...

snipped-for-privacy@biteme.net says...

Mark,
I haven't used the publisher for a few weeks and tried it today. It warned that the license for version 4.0 had expired, so I went to the Web site and downloaded the latest version (4.1). I uninstalled the old version and installed the new one without any problems.
The Web site really does say the product is free for corporate and personal use. There is a license fee to bundle the software with another product. See: http://www.modelpress.com/license.htm
I've heard a comment somewhere that the forced renewal is just to keep users on the latest release. Anyway, I'm still using the product, and haven't had to part with $600.
Art W.
Art Woodbury wrote:

Wow, that's news to me also, Art. I had the Publisher app loaded a while back and liked it pretty well, but the license did time out on me. After that I just uninstalled it and never tried it again. Thanks for mentioning it.
'Sporky'

Hi All,
Art W is right on. Modelpress is free and does require updating (every six to eight months) to the latest (free) version. More info: www.modelpress.com.
Thanks, Informative Graphics Corp.