Wireframe rendering?

What's the best way to get a high-quality wireframe view of a part or assembly? Photoworks doesn't seem to know how to do this. I've resorted to simply screen captures of the workspace, but the quality isn't all that good, even though I'm running on a very high resolution monitor.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

In PhotoWorks you can use Contour Rendering to achieve this. You could also create a drawing view and save it as a tiff file. When you save as a tiff the options tab lets you specify the image quality.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll play with both approaches.

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

It's a long road, but it gets me there...

You will need Ghostscript (free download, you'll find it readily via Google)

1.) Print your SW view to a PDF file 2.) Open the PDF in GHostscript 3.) Use Ghostscript to convert PDF to PNG

PNG format supports vector graphics and fonts, so fine detail isn't lost in a pixelated blur. This is what I use to make pics for reports, etc. in MS Word.

Reply to
That70sTick

I have Corel Draw 12, which has an amazing range of file export/import capabilities. I'll see if it can handle what you propose.

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

This works pretty well. I'd like to add some notes:

- The sheet scale doesn't seem to matter

- You have to check the "Print capture" option

- The DPI can then be set

- Be sure to select "Packbits" for the compression scheme

Also, I wanted to have perspective in some of my views. The only way I could do this in a drawing was to create a new view --with perspective turned on-- in the modeler. That view could then be used to place on the drawing sheet and perspective would be retained.

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

I would go for a PW2 approach... you can easilly control the line thickness, anti-aliasing, Backround and line color etc...

Reply to
Kvick

Yes, agreed. I tried that one next. As you say, a lot more control. However, the drawing approach is much quicker. The PW2 method ties-up the machine for rendering (I'm doing at least 2048 x 1556 images).

I think each method has its place. I know I'll use both.

Incidentally, is there a way to change the lens on the PW2 camera?

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

You can shorten the rendering time by removing materials, scenes and lights...

Reply to
Kvick

Not directly, easier is to use Photoshop / paintshop ETC... but If you have time and patience, try modelling a lence and placing it in front of the rendered object...

Reply to
Kvick

Well, I'm after geometric changes that can't be easily done in Photoshop. I think. Have to try it, I guess.

Interesting idea!

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

This brings up another question.

I need to render different views of the same product (an assembly). For each of these you may want to customize lighting (number, type and position of lights) as well as materials.

There doesn't seem to be a way to save different rendering setups under PW. You get the one and that's it. I suppose one could save copies of the assembly file just for the purpose of rendering in various PW configurations. This has the potential of being a maintenance nightmare if you make any changes.

The only other option I can think of is to create a new assembly for the purpose of rendering. You'd then bring in the finshed product as a sub-assembly. Several of these files could be created based on desired PW settings.

Is that the best approach?

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

Martin wrote: > The only other option I can think of is to create a new assembly for the

I'v done it just like this... There are options to create and save custom scenes etc, but I have not ever been comfortable with them... I'v allways created assys just like you tought of doing...

...but I'm not saying it's a best approach... ;p

Reply to
Kvick