SolidWorks Viewer Automation

I've inherited a VB6 Application that used to invoke the SolidWorks viewer, now when the viewer is updated to 2007 i can no longer use it's methods. I CAN however create the object, so it seems that the manufacturer changed it's interfaces, but i am unable to get any documentation on what has changed.

In other words: i'm looking for a way to pass a slddrw sldprt or sldasm file to a viewer and display or print it on workstations that do not have the fulle solidworks suite installed.

regards

Joris van Lier

Reply to
Joris van Lier

You could always install free eDrawings viewer as long as you don't have to configurations in the parts and assemblies.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

Yes i am aware that i can use eDrawings, however i have a large codebase that uses the API of the viewer, and hoped i could avoid rewriting it for eDrawings.

does eDrawings replace SolidWorks

Reply to
Joris van Lier

Configurations have been supported in eDrawings, and I can't imagine they would take that feature out.

Configs worked a month ago the last time I created an eDrawing.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I'm not certain, but I think you need eDrawings Pro.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I don't know about eDrawings replacing the SolidWorks Viewer, but I know that a lot of companies use eDrawings as a viewing tool for Released SolidWorks drawings.

Bo - Yep, you're absolutely right. What I was alluding to was viewing native SolidWorks part and assembly models - eDrawings used as a viewer for these will not allow changing of configurations since you have to be able to rebuild the model. If you save out an eDrawing, then you can add the configurations to it.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

I don't know about eDrawings replacing the SolidWorks Viewer, but I know of many companies using eDrawings to view Released SW models.

Bo - yep, you're absolutely right. You can view configs in an eDrawing. What I was poorly alluding to, was that you can't view different configs through eDrawing on native SW models. eDrawings doesn't allow to rebuild, so it's not possible. This has been a sticking point with me for sometime since eDrawings is the viewer for PDMWorks. Drawings aren't a problem, but the parts and assemblies are.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

I've tried replying to this 3 times now . . .

eDrawings will not allow you to change configs of a native SW part/ assembly - it can't do the rebuild. If you save out the part/assembly as an eDrawing, then you have the option to include the configs. This has been a sticking point for me since PDMWorks uses eDrawings as its viewer and views native SW models.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

Yup, can see all three.