Moving and/or Copying Solidworks Files

I'm just curious and would like to know how some of you out there handle the task of moving a project of Solidworks files (.sldprt .sldasm .slddrw) from one folder or directory to another?

Example: I've got a project that is in a special folder and almost all of the files are in that folder, with the exception of a couple of parts.

It's done and I have all the correct file names for each file. I need to move the files into different folders and some of the files are already in the correct folder.

What would be the best way to move my files and be the least amount of work to fix links, if I had to?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

It could be as simple as drag-and-drop. If you have your search directories set up, SW will look there first.

Pack-and-go in SW Explorer is also a good option. This will preserve links between copies.

Reply to
That70sTick

I would and do use the pack and go method, don't forget to tick the drawings box, also un-tick the flatten folder box to show you where the original documents came from, if you want to.

You will need to know these locations, if you wish to isolate the original folders, by renaming them for example.

Sometimes, but not always, Solidworks will try to find the original folder, bad thing if you need to change something in the new folder.

Reply to
pete

Sorry tick, I was writing mine, whilst you must have sent yours, lol

Reply to
pete

But how do you deal with moving files into multiple folders using pack and go?

Reply to
Richard Charney

I see that you did ask two questions in you post not one.

For this question, you can use Pack and go.

Your example is asking a totally different question.

First of all, I would never work that way, with everything in the same folder, must be crazy trying to find anything! lol And then you come to this problem that you are facing.

Why would you want too?

Are you looking to put drawings in one folder, parts in another, etc..? Or are you trying to put brought-in parts in one and manufactured parts in another?

Give us an example of what you are trying to achieve and we can then try to work out the best way for you.

Reply to
pete