Moving SW Files - File Managment

I am trying to move some part, drawing, and assembly files for a large number of seperate projects to a new location. The problem is that the files for a specific project are all currently located in the projects respective folder. I need to reorganize the files in their new location and seperate them based on the file type (part, assembly, or drawing) not their project folder. Are there any simple ways to do this while keeping the relationships within the assemblies and drawings intact?

Reply to
Nick

As simple as the assemblies and drawings are. SWExplorer should have the tools to deal with that, but it will be tedious. How many files are you talking about?

  1. Check first for duplicate file names. You can find utilities that do this with a Google search. If you find duplicate file names you will have to check that the files are identical or not. If not identical you will have to rename one of them. If they are identical you will have to replace one or more references.
  2. Use SWExplorer to do a where used on each part and assembly. Tedious, but I think SWExplorer can update the references in multiple assemblies and drawings.

There is a discussion on Eng-Tips about this that is fairly recent.

TOP

Reply to
manager

Use pack and go option. Click the " Include Drawings" option. Uncheck the "Flatten to single folder". This will keep the folder structure preserved i.e will copy to file to the specified location and create the folder structural.

Deepak Gupta SW2009 SP3.0 SW2007 SP5.0

> > I am trying to move some part, drawing, and assembly files for a large

Reply to
Engineer

At the very least, keep drawings in the same folder as their respective parts or assemblies. Otherwise, the "RMB --> Open Drawing" function will not work.

Reply to
That70sTick

I don't think Pack N Go will work for this. He is rearranging file locations, i.e., changing the folder structure.

[Project 1] Drawing 1 Assembly 1 PartA PartB PartC [Project 2] Drawing 2 Assembly 2 PartD PartE PartF

[File Vault] Drawing 1 Drawing 2 Assembly 1 Assembly 2 Part A Part B . . . Part F

On the other hand, Flatten to single folder might help, depends on how much he has to move and whether there are duplicate file names to deal with.

TOP

Reply to
manager

Do as TOP said first (check for duplicates)

THEN...

Just MOVE the files to there new place on the network or wherever they need to go. Go to SolidWorks Options --> File Locations --> Reference Documents. Add the new directory, if one new main top level, or directories if multiple top level directories. This will make SolidWorks check in those directories and subs of those directories before asking you where they are. When you save the file next time they are worked on, SolidWorks will update the references in the file.

Neil

- New Tip Everyday (Text/Video/Picture)

Neil

it has been my experience that solidworks will not tunnel into sub-directories. each directory has to be listed as a search path.

Reply to
kenneth

Here is the fun: SW will not tunnel into immediate subdirectories, but will tunnel "upward" and then back down into other subdirectories. End result: SW looks in a lot of places, but is not likely to look where you want it to.

Look in the help under "Search --" File locations for external references".

Reply to
That70sTick