Self Creating Default SW Template Files .....RANT

.....Rant (ON)....

Okay, this is getting really annoying. I'm trying to set up a company with a central server that contains company approved part/assembly/drawing templates.

So set up three folders called parts,assemblies, and drawings in order to keep things neat and clean.

However, SolidWorks for some reason thinks their users are too stupid to handle template files by themselves.

Consequently, SW creates three identical files (all on its own) called part, assembly, and drawing.

But wait... it gets better..... they then place each one of these files in each of my folders I just created.

So much for a company standard. What do other people do who are ISO certified? Tell their auditor that they have no control on these files and tell all the SW users not to use them?

Any way to turn off this "feature".

You think SW has been taking lessons from Microsoft or AutoDesk on this issue.

What is wrong with a Tool- Option - template switch?

I'm through now.... feel much better.....

....Rant (OFF)....

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar

Thanks for the insight into a possible solution. I have folders in order to:

  1. Distinguish Imperial Start Parts from my Metric Ones.
  2. Start Shapes are associated with different templates (i.e. shaft shapes use side & end view vs. three orthoganal views).
  3. Different assemblies are associated with different views on templates. i.e. exploded assembly view vs. Installation Assembly.
  4. Geometric tolerances are not needed on schematic drawings nor are material and finish blocks on assemblies.
  5. Mono-Detail drawings include additional information (auto-populated from DBWorks)depending on drawing type. Fills in additional informaiton (specific to each drawing type) such as drawing code.
  6. Different clients use different TitleBlocks, part templates, and assembly templates.

and the list goes on.......

Cheers,

Len

Reply to