Putting page number in an entire project

I was asked bt the production department to add page number on drawings. They don't want to have something like page 1/5 for each part (I already automated this) but they want an entire project with pages like from 1 to 500 including parts an assemblies to make sure they have all drawing.

I don't see how I could automatize the numbering of pages of an entire project unless I put all 2D drawing in the same cad file. I think i have to do it manually if I keep one drawing files by 3D files which is wiser to keep things light and isolated from depending of one huge file.

Typical projects are prismatic with 50-500 parts. What king of procedure or tool can I give them to make sure they have all drawing of a project in a fast way.

Robin Montreal, Canada

Reply to
Robin

Err, this is the computer age. You need a database not a page numbering system.

Reply to
Mark Bannister

Ask the production department how much time this will save them vs how much time this will cost you. Keeping 500 pages continuously numbered seems like an insane task.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

drawing of a project in a fast way.

Hey, how about a BOM? All projects should have one anyway.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

If you create drawings in sets (like I do, & like Robin prob'ly does), you need a page numbering system.

Robin, I'm having a VB program written to (among other things) manage page numbering across drawing files. Let me know if you're curious... I'll show you what it'll do (it's pretty sweet).

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mears

snipped-for-privacy@tmhcanada.com (Robin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Robin

Just a couple of thoughts.

1)

Do you have file naming outlines? Any leaway?

Apply names like Project-Part-Page#.slddrw And then in the drawing template include a field with a link to the file name.

SolidWorks Explorer can help you rename large numbers of files. It includes the ability to tack on a prefix and / or a suffix to the file name.

2)

As you build the project, (or before you begin) Add a custom property called "Page" or "Production Ref" that suits your purpose, to the part and assy templates and existing files. (VBA can help with the existing files.)

Include the new custom property on the drawing template as a field and save the sheet layout. Refresh / reload the the sheet layout in existing drawings. In the case of retro-fitting these concepts, VBA can help by adding that property to existing model files and may be able to reload the sheet layout to existing drawing files.

sw

Reply to
SWalker

If you have a full version of acrobat, you could get the page numbering automatically, but you would need to manually update, insert, delete the content.

Reply to
bill a

Go to file/Properties on your part Under custom change a property, I would choose number enter a number

Now in your template or drawing enter that variable as part of a text.

So now you have to number every part, and the number will show up on your sheets. It is difficult to automate it, unless there is some centralising.

Giorgis