How does SW choose Part template

Hello All,

When ever I use something like Split Part SW chooses a default part template for the newly created parts. Is there any way to tell SW that I want to use a specific part template? I know about Tools>Options>System Options>Default Templates, which I have set to C:/Blah/Blah/Muggs.sldprt, but SW seems to want to use another.

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

you're so close, Tools>Options>System Options>Default Templates>Prompt user to select document template

Reply to
kenneth b

Thanks Kenneth,

Yeah, I figured that was the only way. I thought maybe there something more automatic.

MAN! I'm sooo lazy!

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

When you say SW uses another one, how do you know? Is it that you have modified one and it's not using that one? Could it be that you are not actually modifying the one you think you are? If you have more than one location in your Tools>Options>System Options>Default Templates setting, which one is first on the list? Just thoughts....

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne, I'm very picky about my lighting. I hate the "Shinny" look, and all my template s are just how I like them. HOWEVER... I don't think I ever changed THE default part file "part.sldprt".

Hmmmm...

I'll get back to you, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

OK, Try this please.

Empty all of your .prtdot files from the folder that SW is looking at, Tools>Options>System Options>Default Templates Tools>Options>System Options>File Locations>Document Templates

Now create two or three very different .prtdot files. What I did was I call one "A" and had the planes called "a", "aa", and "aaa". Then I made another one called "B" and had the planes called "b", "bb", and "bbb", so that way I could tell which one SW would pick.

BUT, to my supries SW made a new one as if by magic.

Would someone try this to confirm that I'm not crazy (in this instance anyway).

Thanks, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

you're not crazy, i've seen this before

Reply to
kenneth b

Another thought. What version & SP are we talking about? If 2005, is it possibly pulling a copy from a 2004 location?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

SW2005 SP 0.1

I thought that initially as well, but a little while ago I had to uninstall SW completely, and I havn't had the nessesity to reinstall 2004.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

I have seen this as well ... and it drives me crazy.

Try this: Use "Split Part" to create two new parts from a base part. The two new parts will be created from an entirely different part template... (It look like the default part template)

This problem exists in both 2004 and 2005

Try doing this when "Split Part" creates 20 different "new" parts. Changing the setting in 20 new parts is a complete waste of my time.

Reply to
JF