help please-micro neuro surgery is easier than editing SW drawing template!!

Teddy throwing time is very fast approaching...

What seems, on the face of it, a simple task, in reality turns out to be impossible. For me.

I'm trying to make my own A4 drawing template, with things like a fixed company name, edited in tolerances etc, with dimension fonts and sizes set how I want them etc etc. The dimension fonts etc is the one thing I can do with success it seems.

I'm finding that if I choose to edit sheet format, I can edit the tolerances as I require.

But what I am left with seems to be a drawing that is trapped in 'edit sheet format' mode, and annotations that I put in before selecting 'edit sheet format' are now gone into the digital ether. I can't find a way out of this.

If I then save it as a template, then use it in a drawing, when I put in a part view I just get the box that would normally contain the model view.

I've asked a few Q's on this, and the replies say 'just do this, just do that, no problemmo'. Umm, yes problemmo for me...

Could a kind soul give me an IQzero's instruction (or link to) on how to do this please, like:

1 Plug in PC and turn it on. 2 Sit within reach of PC. 3 Run SW 2004 4 Open a drawing template

Its after 4 it turns to s*1t.....

thanks !!

Reply to
Steve

to get out of "edit sheet format", right click in white space on the drawing and go to "edit sheet"

annotations and views on the sheet disappear when editing the format, so you're not seeing things, that's how it's supposed to work, except that you should save the template when in "edit sheet" instead of "edit sheet format"

matt

"Steve" wrote in news:cjpio2$6a0$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com:

Reply to
matt

Steve

In the file menu there is a line saying "Save Sheet Format".....after You have edited the sheet format...get out of there by "Edit Sheet" instead. While editing sheet You can add Your company name, other annotations, create ancors for tables and stuff like that. While editing sheet You can set up Your dimension style, tolerance style and other things which You find under Tools/Options/Document Properties. Now ......when You save this template....first go to File menu and hit "Save Sheet Format" and You'll get a dialouge box asking You to save a .slddrt-file. Save It in the same folder as Your other templates and name it. Then ....save the document as a template by "Save As" in the File menu, and in the "Save As" dialouge box pick "DRWDOT" as file extension and save the template in the same folder as the slddrt-file.

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

Back to basics

  1. Three file extensions have to do with this subject:

a. .slddrw -- the actual drawing file b. .drwdot -- the drawing template c. .slddrt -- the sheet format

  1. Every template has a sheet format embedded in it.

  1. The sheet format for any drawing can be saved apart from the drawing

  2. A multisheet drawing can have one or more sheet formats in it.

  1. When editing a sheet format, the drawing views including the sheet view are invisible.

  2. A sheet format can contain lines, arcs, notes, dimensions, images, etc. (Dimensions are typically not used on the sheet format except to position things and should be hidden.)

  1. A template can contain document settings, preferred units, layers, views, tolerance settings, etc.

First make a sheet format for your A4 size. Put all the title block, notes with linked values, logos, etc. on the sheet format and save it.

Then, make your template using your sheet format and provide dimension preferences, tolerance preferences, etc. to the template and save the template in your templates directory.

Link to your templates directory using TOOLS/OPTIONS/SYSTEM/FILE/TEMPLATES.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks, and to Krister too. Between the two replies, I've actually done it. Jebus, not as straight forward as I'd think. I always check help too, before asking.... (although the answer can be secreted under some unexpected title....)

Reply to
me