How-To: Choose What Material Your Part Is Made Of

This may be old news to some users, but I thought I would put it out there as it is handy.
TO CHANGE WHAT MATERIAL A PART IS MADE OUT OF
(In Wildfire 4 ProE):
1) With the part open in ProE, 2) "Edit", "Setup", "Material" 3) Choose the desired material from the list that appears 4) Click the ">>>" arrows to move it over into "Materials in Model" list on the right side 5) Right-click on the new material in the "Materials in Model" list, choose "Assign".
Your part is now "made" of that material.
TO MAKE USE OF THE MATERIAL FOR CG, MASS, ETC (Note: you can use this on assemblies too-- very handy):
1) "Analysis", "Model", "Mass Properties" 2) Note that up at the top of the little window "CSYS", "Select items" is highlighted yellow. You can either choose a coordinate system you want it to figure the CG relative to, or "Use Default" (which is checked by default) 3) Click on the button with the eyeglasses at the bottom, to get your analysis.
Presto: loads of info, based upon the material the part is now made out of.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the material use in an assembly. I've been trying to find a nice material library to use for this. I've started creating my own. Do you know of a good spot where I could download a more complete material library?

Thanks for these insights regarding the 'Edit>Setup' menus. They are a big and frightening wilderness for average users who hardly ever venture there. Here is another from WF4. The setup of geometric tolerances has moved to the 'Insert>Annotation" menu. From there, it launches the same old Menu Manager interface, so still no Dashboard for Setup stuff, just more confusion, tinkering, half measures and milking the upgrade cow till we get to Never-Never Land, apparently, or at least DE (DimEmber) 25.
I'm starting a betting pool, soliticiting dates and amounts of money one would be willing to bet on when, if ever, the Dashboard Revolution will be finished, where "finished" could be a simple declaration or some obvious catatonia on Jim Hepplemann's part. (Oh, sorry, wait, no, catatonia, on the Jimster's part, would NEVER be obvious.) The least likely scenario, however, is that the Dashboad will be implemented thoroughly and consistently through every module of Pro/e, even the Foundation stuff!!! Anyone taking THAT bet!?! I'd take it.... AGAINST!
David Janes
may be old news to some users, but I thought I would put it out<BR>there as it is handy.<BR><BR>TO CHANGE WHAT MATERIAL A PART IS MADE OUT OF<BR><BR>(In Wildfire 4 ProE):<BR><BR>1) With the part open in ProE,<BR>2) "Edit", "Setup", "Material"<BR>3) Choose the desired material from the list that appears<BR>4) Click the "&gt;&gt;&gt;" arrows to move it over into "Materials in Model"<BR>list on the right side<BR>5) Right-click on the new material in the "Materials in Model" list,<BR>choose "Assign".<BR><BR>Your part is now "made" of that material.<BR><BR><BR>TO MAKE USE OF THE MATERIAL FOR CG, MASS, ETC<BR>(Note: you can use this on assemblies too-- very handy):<BR><BR>1) "Analysis", "Model", "Mass Properties"<BR>2) Note that up at the top of the little window "CSYS", "Select items"<BR>is highlighted yellow.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; You can either choose a coordinate system you want it to figure the<BR>CG relative to, or<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; "Use Default" (which is checked by default)<BR>3) Click on the button with the eyeglasses at the bottom, to get your<BR>analysis.<BR><BR>Presto: loads of info, based upon the material the part is now made<BR>out of.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
hi guys,
sorry if this is a simple problem but i am stumped. we use pro e WF4 at university. i have created assemblies and now that i am doing the drawings it just shows LC_STEEL for the materials for each part. i have followed your steps and changed the part materials to all sorts of things, then saved, then made new drawing etc and i just cant get the BOM to reflect the changes. other parts just show no material in the BOM even though i have assigned one.
if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate as my deadline is getting closer!
Thanks, Stevo
guys,<BR><BR>sorry if this is a simple problem but i am stumped. we use pro e WF4<BR>at university. i have created assemblies and now that i am doing the<BR>drawings it just shows LC_STEEL for the materials for each part.&nbsp; i<BR>have followed your steps and changed the part materials to all sorts<BR>of things, then saved, then made new drawing etc and i just cant get<BR>the BOM to reflect the changes.&nbsp; other parts just show no material in<BR>the BOM even though i have assigned one.<BR><BR>if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate as my deadline is<BR>getting closer!<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Stevo</BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>The stuff that shows up in a Pro/e BOM depends on what report parameters were set up to pick up component information. You have to go to the BOM with 'Table&gt;Repeat Region&gt;Switch Syms' to see what report parameters are driving the table. They will be things like rpt.index, rpt.qty,&nbsp;assem.mbr.name,&nbsp;etc which will be on the first line of the repeat region. Look in the column for materials and find out what is driving this. Likely it is a user defined part parameter. Look in the parts which show the material in the BOM. See if 'Tools&gt;Parameters' lists a parameter that populates the BOM. Then check the parts which do not list the material and see if this parameter has a value. Check also if a material has been assigned with 'Edit&gt;Setup&gt;Material'.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes<FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=