Default Templates Not Working Correctly

Running SW 2007 SP4.

I have created a series of default parts and assemblies for the users. I have pointed the system at the default template location (System Options - Default Templates). When users create a new part in context in an assembly the system creates an inch part without all the predefined custom properties I defined. My default template is metric and has all the requisite properties in it. It appears that SW is ignoring the default template path and using another. Is this a bug? Where is SW finding this empty inch part?

TIA

Reply to
Dataman

Try opening a new part, then do save as, and select part template (*.prtdot) in the drop down list. This should take you to the location of the part template. You may need to shift the order of file locations so that your preferred default is at the top. Tools>System Options>File Locations>Move Up. I have done lots of this sort of thing, and now have a sense of what SWx is doing, however, I struggle to explain it. It can be really confusing sometimes!! We have a CAD standard implemented, that directs all users to input the correct file locations when loading SWx.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dominic.

Reply to
Dom

Just a small note....it sounds like they insert the part into the assy before working with it. I find a lot easier to create the part first, even though it's all empty, insert it to the assembly and mate it properly by using planes, before starting starting to work on it.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L