'Drilling Down'?

In the presentation I saw of SW2008 the presenter had something open on the task pane that allowed him to select features and even sketches from other parts and drag them onto the current part...I guess I didn't take very good notes because for the life of me I can't figure out how he was doing that. I think he refered to it as 'drilling down'. How do I do this?

TIA Wormsign

Reply to
WormSign

Worksign,

Check out page 1-10 in the SolidWorks 2008 "What's New" guide. What you are referring to is called "Design Clipart".

Hope this helps.

John

Reply to
John

First, you have to have Windows Desktop Search installed and have a complete index built of all your SWX parts.

Then, in the Solidworks window, you search for something and the task pane will display parts/files that contain that keyword. The keyword may exist in the filename, file properties, or even a feature name (if you name your features).

For example, you remember there being a specific feature you created back in a part called "rotator." You would search for rotator, and the part would list in the task pane. You could then select the part and use it. Or, you could drill down into the part and look at all its features, thus being able to copy a feature from one part into your current work part. Or, you could continue to drill down and just copy a sketch of a feature.

The key is to have Windows Desktop Search installed and active on every single client machine running SolidWorks that will create its own index of every single file you have on the local workstation as well as the shared network drives that are mapped. Nothing like having all your seats of SWX indexing your network at the same time. That should be wonderous for performance.

--Scott

Reply to
Swizzle