The Cub Scout pinewood derby... A modern perspective.

I've been looking forward to this time in my Son's short life, since he was born...

It's pinewood derby time!

Being a tool maker/designer, I wasn't about to let my son use such primitive tools such as saws and the like. Nope. Having a shop full of CNCs, and me making a living doing 3D modeling, it would be a silly thought not to take advantage of these available tools.

Some of the parents thought it would be cheating. But then I gave them my perspective... Do you just hand a saw to a 7 year old? I'm sure most wouldn't.

I told Thomas he had to sketch out his car, in 3 different views. Top view, front view, and a right side view. Which he finished, I then sat down with him and his crayola creations. We modeled it together, using parametrized sketches and primitives.

This is what we came up with...

So you guys think we cheated? :)

Reply to
Steve Mackay

It's better than buying a car on ebay.

Reply to
ff

Nice Job looks like the bat mobile. I don't think it is cheating at all, as long as you do it together. The main objective is to get your son introduced to a skill that may help him along in life.

I'm fine with it.

JMHO

Reply to
jimz
25 years ago I only had a manual Mill and Lathe for my sons Pinewood derby, and he turned the handle as I watched. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

Who cares what the other parents think. What matters is what your son gets from the experience.

Go rent Down & Derby.

After losing the derby race for years, ((but always got the best of show prize) My son & I did his science fair project on derby techniques....weight forward, weight back, flat plank, polished axles, graphite axles each race, aerodynamic, square block, etc... final result? 3 wheels was the fastest car, by a lot.

ca

Reply to
clay