The deal of a lifetime!! GLOAT!!!

A friend of my Dad's is moving after retiring and used to be a Mopar buff... He is moving to a retirement community and he was cleaning out his garage and called me knowing I had a start-up engine company and wondered if I could use a few engines and parts that he had to get rid of ASAP. He did not know what was all there he simply said - "Get a box truck and bring your engine hoist" I did.... Before we go in to the garage he said "just take this, I don't want any money for it, you always did my oil changes and kept the cars running." We go into the garage and he GIVES me (And would not accept ay money at all) three like new 426 HEMI engines complete. Carbs to pan! two Wedge 440's and three sets of Hemi heads boxes upon boxes of NOS Mopar Parts still in the factory boxes - sprung and valved.... Needless to say I am buying this guy a steak dinner and giving a lifetime of free work. He refused a dime... He wanted them to have a "good home" They don't even need paint! I'm going to detail them, go through them and re-bearing,re seal, and clean em up and put them on stands on display in the shop. Nicest guy in the world..... He was talking about wanting a Beretta autoloading shotgun for this season so I got a copy of his FOID# (Perks of being a former cop) and I'm picking one out today for him for Christmas. I'm going to auction off his Super Bee for him and he is going to shit when I get him at least 90k for the car, He wanted 6 grand for it and I told him he was nuts and to just trust me and I'd sell the car for him. 20k miles and it sat for years (He lost use of his legs from diabetes years ago) it sat since 77 he said.

My ultimate gloat!

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. snipped-for-privacy@RobFraser.net

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Nice story. One of those days when you just feel good!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Maybe there's something you can do that would be better.

If he is on insulin and does not have a pump, buy him one. They're not cheap. They are worth every penny and more.

Reply to
_

I know nothing of his health but he is a retired big-wig and has stated he has excellent medical coverage- If he needed one I'd gladly do it. This is one of those things you have real problems repaying the "thoughtfulness debt" of.

RF

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Is his name "Mr. Norm?"

Nice score!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Karma my man.... Karma.... He is a good guy. I'd only hope someday if I were in his position someone would do right by me.

RF

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Is that the guy with semi trucks of cars and parts from a few years ago?

RF

Reply to
Rob Fraser

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:57:00 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, _ quickly quoth:

He can do that himself with the SuperBee money.

Or Rob can say "Here's the $6k for the car. And here's your new insulin pump. Oh, and here's the change from selling the car" as he puts down the suitcase full of green.

-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You're a good man. Man a man would have hauled it off and said nothing, and given him nothing. Keep us posted on this as if develops.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Who do you think got more pleasure from the gift? You are probably the only one to really know and appreciate his gift. He got the biggest kick knowing you were floored!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'd call this situation a Win-Win!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I would too- I'm also calling it a learning lesson. Just listening to the feedback and comments of "so-called friends" has been a real eye opener. Since the car is in the shop and already being restored to a very marketable condition you would not believe the things I have heard. There are some selfish greedy bastards out there who think only of themselves and I hope they don't ask a favor of me as they are getting billed full shop time now. I have heard so much "gimme-gimme-gimme" today I want to puke. I don't know where the world went wrong or if it's just the area I live in and I'm glad to be moving to a farm if that's the case but I have lost a lot of respect for a lot of people over the last two days and one will be jailed tomorrow morning as I saw him putting a box in his trunk. I just need to file a police report so I don't get sued by him first (Dumb f*ck took a dual quad manifold with carbs on it right in front of a recording security video camera.) Illinois has some scum in it.. You guys have been the only honest voice of reason and I sincerely mean it. other that you it's all been about what someone can get for nothing. My dad said it's like turning the lights on and watching the roaches run away but only in reverse.... Sorta makes sense if you think about it.

RF

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Yes, proper gifting gives pleasure to both.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

"Rob Fraser" wrote in news:76idnfqf974n7VDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Don't forget that you just tripled the shop rates the 1 second before they came in.

You can tell them that "Just for them" there's a 1/3-off "special" running...

BTW, good luck (seriously) on prosecuting the thief. Hopefully the idiot will want a trial and the Judge will throw the book at him.

Reply to
RAM³

The last time Tom was floored was after he 'gifted' his sister one of his practical jokes. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That is so sad. I agree with another poster, that he probably took great pleasure in your reaction to his gift.

I had a long time machinist friend pass away earlier this year. My fiance had just come over from Australia, and we were going to get together so he could meet her. He was my best man at my first wedding, and might well have been again for round 2. He'd told me a month before that he had some rare form of lung cancer, but I got no clue how short his time really was. We'd talked and were going to get together the following week, when he didn't make it.

He'd told me years ago that anything of his tools I wanted, I'd get first shot, just be fair with his son who had no interest. While at his place looking through tools, his nephew was running around laying claim to most of everything but the machinery. I did manage to lay claim to a very unusual protractor he'd told me I could have, but there was little but odds and ends not already claimed. I did pay way too much for an old Kennedy box with cutters I'll never use and some worn out measuring tools. I worked out of that box

28 years ago when I was just moving more into machining at a company we both worked for.

Now, this may draw some derision, but my fiance has some interesting talents, one being the ability to communicate with those departed. Danni told me later that Chuck was there, and most upset with how everything was going down. He was also upset with himself over not specifying how his estate was to be settled. That was part of what he wanted to talk to me about. If we'd been able to meet, I just would have advised him to make sure his wishes were written down. They weren't and it was a free-for-all.

I hope your friend is around for a good long while. Whether or not he senses his time might be near, it's obvious he has a great fondness for you and knew the stuff was going to a good home. I'd consider that gift a very high compliment on his perception of your character and how you two interacted.

I hope one day to be able to bestow my collection of tools and such on someone worthy.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Get the police involved NOW. Don't give the SOB a chance to sell off his stolen parts. And I bet that if he faces a judge his first words will be "Gee your honor, he was given all these parts and he wasn't going to use them"

Reply to
Steve W.

There are some disappointments and some good moments in this getting old thing. The down side is that there are a lot of scummy people around. The good news is that there are some good ones left, too. I'm paring down that adolescent need I had for "friends", and now consider myself lucky that I can count on my fingers my "real friends".

The ones who would come out on a rainy night at 2 AM and help you get unbroke down on the freeway. The same ones you'd get out of bed to do the same thing.

And when some bonehead does pull a theft or underhanded deed, I don't hesitate to pull the trigger on him/her/it because maybe I'll help the next guy that I don't even know.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I thought I did well buying 3, 1 Lbs cans and 2, 30 Lbs cans of R-12 for $20

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I have to pull the DAT tape.

RF