Hobart Gasoline Welder

Anyone know anything about this beasty?
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HobartGasolineWelder #
I brought it home last night. Previous owner claimed it ran the last
time they welded with it..about 12 yrs ago. Look at the wheels....blink blink..Ive never seen a wheel with no hole in the middle before. I drug it from Bakersfield..about 45 miles at 55-60 mph and the bearings didnt get warm..and I know it had sat parked for at least 8 yrs since they pulled it down from the ranch.
Owner claimed it had come off a Liberty Ship vintage WW2...shrug
Anyone have any ideas?
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

I have an idea that a beer would be real good right now...
And that I'd rather sip a beer and contemplate you working on that thing than me...

<G>
Got a spare Diet Mt. Dew and Ill join you. Maybe we can con some young guy into firing it up....?
<G>
Gunner
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:35:52 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

Nope, sorry Gunner.
But could you do me a real biggie and run a couppla tests for the post down below please?
As I said I've been lurking and occasionally posting on here.
I know all about your wheel incident & love your posts.
Hell, I'm learning from reading on here
(posted from sejw)
Good thing that it is a simplified welder. Nice cables too.
Does it crank?
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:56:26 -0600, Ignoramus28336

No idea. Its missing the battery.
Chuckle..the welding leads I suspect are as hard as a rock. Here in the high desert...when its 120F..and stuff enclosed in a metal box and stand in the sun for a number of years...getting up to 1500F.... Standing just right..the stinger shows crystalization of the plastic. Shrug..Ive got lots and lots of stingers if that one starts to disintergrate.
Ill have to check everything out, fill the empty radiator, add some fuel, etc etc and try it out. I did notice that there is No air cleaner..though the air stack goes way way up into the upper dome of the cabinet. After seeing that..Id be quite suprised if it has "good" compression. Though to be fair...up that high..it may not have sucked up any "big" stuff.
Ill take some photos of the other side..where the water jacket cracked many years ago and they patched it. It was on a ranch up in the Sierras..and it may have frozen. I was told once..but after the stroke..some tidbits went away. No biggie.
I think Ill run the engine down to the car wash and blow out the birds nests, tumbleweeds and whatnot that cover the motor itself.
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

Make sure to use plenty of steam to remove all the 'Liberal droppings'! ;-)
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 16:37:47 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

ROFLMAO! Indeed.
Gunner

I added some pics after its trip to the carwash, including the Left side of the engine.
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HobartGasolineWelder #
Ive posted the infor and a request on the Hobart group and was told it was a Chrysler inline 6. Still dont know the year of manufacture..or even if it can be started...soon.
Gunner

I'd replace fuel line before even thinking of putting gas in it, I base that on a VW I resurrected years ago. Every bit of rubber on the thing had to be replaced, I was lucky I didn't have a nice barbecue. What you might see if you can do is to get the thing to fire off on either the vapor from a propane torch inserted in the carb intake or a couple of tablespoons of gas dumped down same. A set of well separated jumper cables would substitute for the missing battery. Would give you a better idea if it's worth working over or just parting out. Right after that would be changing oil, then changing out rubber and maybe wiring.
Stan
I remember when they brought out the junk material to add large amounts to gas - cars on the highways would burst into flames.
It seemed that older cars had rubber hoses and those from out of state for the most part ate through the rubber and dripped and sprayed gas over the engine.
Oh yea - MTBE - finally got that brain cell out of the trash container!
Martin
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

I thought it just might be a Chrysler industrial engine. I never used one, but knew someone who has a long time ago.
Richard W.

The best engine for those old welders was a Ford aircooled V4. Flat head, but ran great. Last one my dad got had never been run or had run maybe a total or 20 minutes. Was hooked up to the Air Raid siren at the Richmond, CA shipyards on a building that later became a Ford assembly line. He had part of the contract for dismantling the Ford plant.
Gunner Asch wrote:

You have no idea where they've been, or what kind of diseases they leave behind. :(
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

stand
No, it is old insulation, prior to use of neoprene rubber.
I would just try cranking it without any special preparations.
If it does not crank, see if it is frozen. If it is, take it to the scrap yard along with the remains of the other welder. If it is not frozen, I would mess with it a little.
I would not personally spend too much time on it, it is counterproductive. If a couple of "easy fixes" do not fix it, just sell it with full disclosure or part it out. This is just a personal opinion.
The age is beyond what is maintainable, no one knows these engines any more, no parts are available, etc. I doubt it has much collector value, but if you are lucky and its runs, it would be a great luck and a success story.

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 18:31:03 -0600, Ignoramus26053

So far Im able to determine that the engine is extremely common, made up to the late 1970s. A Chrysler inline 6 and used in many automobiles as well as industrial equipment.
So engine parts should be fairly easy to get, based on viewing posts on a number of welding newsgroups.
The welder of course..shrug..all the wire looks to be in acceptable condition so Im not terribly concerned about that portion.
Gunner

This is great news!

Gunner Asch wrote:

The Chrysler 225 slant six? I have one in my garage with less than 3000 miles after a complete rebuild by a mechanical Engineer who collected Mopar. He said it is from a '63 Valiant. He did a complet rebuild, then decided to cram a Hemi into the car.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Duh. I should have counted the spark plugs. I'll just go stand in the corner for a while.
Doh tee Doh!
Steve
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 08:49:25 -0800, "Steve B"

Well to be fair...they are grouped wierd..and 3/4 are hidden behind the carby. So dont be rough on yourself <G>
Gunner