Hobart Gasoline Welder

I added some pics after its trip to the carwash, including the Left side of the engine.

Ive posted the infor and a request on the Hobart group and was told it was a Chrysler inline 6. Still dont know the year of manufacture..or even if it can be started...soon.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'd replace fuel line before even thinking of putting gas in it, I base that on a VW I resurrected years ago. Every bit of rubber on the thing had to be replaced, I was lucky I didn't have a nice barbecue. What you might see if you can do is to get the thing to fire off on either the vapor from a propane torch inserted in the carb intake or a couple of tablespoons of gas dumped down same. A set of well separated jumper cables would substitute for the missing battery. Would give you a better idea if it's worth working over or just parting out. Right after that would be changing oil, then changing out rubber and maybe wiring.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

So far Im able to determine that the engine is extremely common, made up to the late 1970s. A Chrysler inline 6 and used in many automobiles as well as industrial equipment.

So engine parts should be fairly easy to get, based on viewing posts on a number of welding newsgroups.

The welder of course..shrug..all the wire looks to be in acceptable condition so Im not terribly concerned about that portion.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

This is great news!

Ignoramus26053

Remains of the Miller 55G that my buddy is rebuilding for me?

Odd you would say that. Have you priced a used one recently?

Are you claiming that if an engine on a $2000 welder needs minor rebuilding, one should simply throw it into the trash?

Sure you didnt take a pry bar to the head recently?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Drink some beers? "Here, hold my beer and watch THIS!

Reply to
Buerste

For sure don't just scrap it. Everythings still available for most of the older industrial engines. The problem might be generator parts. A call to the Bakersfield Praxair welding machine shop will likely tell you what is or isn't available. I'm sure Wendell is completely retired by now but there are some other guys in there that are very good and very helpfull. It's a true DC generator, and there are still a (dwindling) number of people using them. I knew a guy a few years ago running an early 40's 350 amp Hobart generator with a Cummins, he put the original engine in his generator. Hobart used a variety of common ind engines over the years in their machines. Worst case would be part it out or sell it to someone with a similar machine, if you have the time to find that guy.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I thought it just might be a Chrysler industrial engine. I never used one, but knew someone who has a long time ago.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

I remember when they brought out the junk material to add large amounts to gas - cars on the highways would burst into flames.

It seemed that older cars had rubber hoses and those from out of state for the most part ate through the rubber and dripped and sprayed gas over the engine.

Oh yea - MTBE - finally got that brain cell out of the trash container!

Mart> >> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I remember my Dads Dodge Motor home. It was built on a semi- truck frame with duals in the rear.

The unit had a 4 or 6 cylinder engine in the rear attached to a 220 100 amp alternator.

If you see a junk yard that has recked motor homes - larger ones - might have a nice 4 or 6 cylinder engine made to drive a generator. Normally in the passenger side rear.

His was water cooled and ran off the 50 gallon tank of gas.

Also, one winter he forgot to fill the cylinders with oil during the winter. Lived in North Dakota at the time. He came down to our house and I took him to a diesel truck repair shop - the tool store next door to buy a large box wrench - as the front end of the main drive shaft was a hex. The cylinders had locked up. When finding that out, he put in cylinder top oil in each, replaced the plugs and drove to our house... We turned the main shaft over and it got easier and easier to turn. Finally after several complete turns Dad decided to hit the switch. It fired right off and ran for years.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The best engine for those old welders was a Ford aircooled V4. Flat head, but ran great. Last one my dad got had never been run or had run maybe a total or 20 minutes. Was hooked up to the Air Raid siren at the Richmond, CA shipyards on a building that later became a Ford assembly line. He had part of the contract for dismantling the Ford plant.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Is that a Continental engine?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The Chrysler 225 slant six? I have one in my garage with less than

3000 miles after a complete rebuild by a mechanical Engineer who collected Mopar. He said it is from a '63 Valiant. He did a complet rebuild, then decided to cram a Hemi into the car.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There may be room for a small one wire alternator in there. You don't need a big generator for the electrical system. Just enough to charge the battery and to power the ignition system.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You have no idea where they've been, or what kind of diseases they leave behind. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The WELDING generator, you DO need that. JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

The WELDING generator, you DO need that. JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Duh. I should have counted the spark plugs. I'll just go stand in the corner for a while.

Doh tee Doh!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well to be fair...they are grouped wierd..and 3/4 are hidden behind the carby. So dont be rough on yourself

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thats sorta what I was thinking.

Ive got a good Ranger 9, that Miller 55G thats slowly being rebuild by a buddy who owes me favors, and now the Hobart. At worst..I can haul it in the Oildorado parade later this year, at best..Ill have a nice loaner/heavy welder that hauls marvelously behind the Ranger.

Shrug. Or I can fix it up and give it a paint job and then peddle it. This afterall..is the oil patch..and a trailer mounted 300 amp welder should sell for more than I gave for it...ie..to date...$60 (tires)