Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.
THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.
Thanks

Reminds me of the ex girlfriend of one of my buddies back when Radio Shack had a real computer push. She was their computer guru. Usually she asked me or my buddy for help with anything as we were real computer nerds back then. One day she didn't ask us when she decided to erase an old Seagate MFM hard drive with a mag tape bulk eraser. When she powered it up you could hear that drive screaming 4 shops down the walkway in the mall.

Hard drives have very powerful magnets in them.
On Wed, 25 May 2011 17:55:35 -0500, Ignoramus23924

Yes, but the flux of the head positioning magnets is very carefully controlled so that NONE of it flows through or across the platters, and NONE of it influences the read and write heads. The flux of those strong magnets is concentrated through the gap where the "voice coil" actuator armature works.
I wonder if the answer has changed any from the last time this was posted.
The heads and electronics would be all fried before the drum would be erased.
LOL
-------
wrote in message On Wed, 25 May 2011 17:55:35 -0500, Ignoramus23924 Yes, but the flux of the head positioning magnets is very carefully controlled so that NONE of it flows through or across the platters, and NONE of it influences the read and write heads. The flux of those strong magnets is concentrated through the gap where the "voice coil" actuator armature works.
The strong magnetic field might destroy the heads themselves. They are tiny and use very small wire in the loop.
Martin
On 5/25/2011 6:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

And easily replaced (my NSA level techs).
I'm thinking that if the magnet is stron enough to grab the drive from several inches away, whatever was written on it is toast.
Unless it's the NSA level techs who are interested.
Then YOU are toast...
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Really gets down to how thoroughly you want it destroyed.
Want to do it thoroughly, grind the platters to dust, mix the dust with Thermite, burn the Thermite, then spread the results over the Pacific.
The OP died three months ago.
----------
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Really gets down to how thoroughly you want it destroyed.
Want to do it thoroughly, grind the platters to dust, mix the dust with Thermite, burn the Thermite, then spread the results over the Pacific.

I think that he said that I died 3 months ago.

LOL I think the point was made quite well.
1----------- "Ignoramus24615" wrote in message
I think that he said that I died 3 months ago.
2------------- On 2011-08-24,some killfiled troll wrote: Who did?
On Wed, 25 May 2011 10:30:08 -0500, Ignoramus23924

Not nearly strong enough for succesful erasure. Severe mechanical destruction is the only safe way,
A pickaxe stroke strong enough to both penetrate and mechanically distort the disk platter is a good start.
CD / DVD destruction is much easier see http://flic.kr/p/9LRLva
Jim
On 5/25/2011 10:30 AM, Ignoramus23924 wrote:

Take them outside, put them on a concrete sidewalk, give them 2-3 good hits with a sledgehammer. Drives made in the last ~10 years have tempered-glass platters that will shatter totally. Drives older than that have metal platters, but if they can't spin, they won't work. (Also if the controller circuit board gets smashed up, only the manufacturer probably has the ability to get or make a new one)
Then you can just toss them in the trash -- but the frames of many are aluminum, if you recycle.
-------
If you want to erase a working drive completely, just hook it up as a slave drive, get a random-over-writer like Eraser and do a 1X random over-write of the entire drive. Or go 3X if you want to get crazy, but nothing more is needed. It's not difficult, it doesn't take that long and you can have that going while still using the computer. http://eraser.heidi.ie /
Eraser is free and has a bunch of overwrite options, from 1 to 35 passes--but if you look at the list, you will see that many government and military standards are only a 3x random overwrite.
,,,,,,
The way that most OS's restore previous versions of files is by an operating system feature, not by any technical aspect of the drives themselves. The OS does this by writing each new version at a different space on the drive. If you randomly-overwrite the whole drive even just once, ALL the versions will get corrupted.
If even just the /previous/ drive write (in any single location) could possibly be recovered in any easy way with only the drive's own read/write hardware, then the drive would have 2X the capacity that it really does, and the hard drive companies would be capitalizing on that. And they're not.
DougC wrote:

If you do this, put some kind of backer plate under them so you don't chip or crack the concrete.
Good Luck! Rich

Indeed. Very well stated.
Gunner, posting from a restaurant via cellphone hooked to cell phone

How exactly are they hooked?
On Wed, 25 May 2011 23:28:02 -0500, Ignoramus23924

Google Android + tether
Via charging/data port on cell phone
Gunner
On Wed, 25 May 2011 23:28:02 -0500, Ignoramus23924

I believe he meant to say "laptop hooked to a cell phone", Ig.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
A little slow there?
"cellphone" is a noun. "cell phone" is a noun and an adjective (descriptive noun)
---------
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I believe he meant to say "laptop hooked to a cell phone", Ig.
-- Education - get some
We've disassembed and destroyed a number of drives, large [old Barracuda's with magnesium housings...] and small [laptop].
Some have glass platters, many don't. Most have a good selection of tiny screws.
All have interesting magnets and the other parts succumb to the 20 ton HF press.