Video of hard drive crushing

See a video of hard drive crushing, some people enjoy that sort of stuff.
http://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Hard-Drive-Crushing/

Hmmmm.... I wonder just HOW destroyed a drive needs to be before it's 'completely' destroyed.
Anyway... Ig, This is just 'seat of the pants' thinking, but I don't think that press of yours is putting out more than 20 or 30 tons, regardless of it's rating. I do a lot of pressing of all sorts of things in my business.
150 tons will darned near deform 1/2" malleable steel rod into flats. It should have reduced those two drives, which are MOSTLY hollow aluminum castings, to 'fritters', even in the flat orientation. That it didn't is confusing.
Cylinder size? Pressure AT the cylinder when it meets the load?
Only those two things matter. What's on the badge only tells you what it could put out, if it were driven to capacity.
LLoyd
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 05:44:28 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Only the disk inside. The electronics have no information.

I destroyed a couple HDDs for a client a couple months ago. They're amazingly stout, and hard to mangle in the slightest. It really surprised me. I think it dented my hammer. ;) And I told her that the next time, ask me first. I'd use a heavy duty drive eraser software on it.

I want him to fire the videographer. Man, talk about a jumpy flick...
--
Sound character provides the power with which a person may ride
the emergencies of life instead of being overwhelmed by them.

Larry: 1) I was being facetious.      2) not true. There's usually flash memory on the board that holds a sector-map of the surface defects, which, although not "user data", is useful information for retrieving any data remaining.
Keep in mind, too, that forensic recovery outfits can scavange data off of PIECES of the disk, even when it's been (apparently) smashed to oblivion. Even the glass substrate ones.
For all intents, if you're not breaking any major federal laws, what Ig did is sufficient.
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:47:49 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Oh. ;)

Only if electronic wiping -wasn't- used.

Not for forensic recovery. He didn't say he used software first.
--
Sound character provides the power with which a person may ride
the emergencies of life instead of being overwhelmed by them.

What is important, is not only the fact that the hard drive was crushed and the disk broke into many pieces. What is also important is what happened to those pieces. They were thrown into a commercial dumpster, some were lost on the way or swept into the floor, etc.
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:09:15 -0600, Ignoramus29975

Yes, but the bad guys who had you under surveillance would see where the garbage went and rifle through it for evidence to be used against you. Since they weren't wiped, much data could be retrieved forensically.

Huh? That's some porous concrete you have there, Iggy.
--
Sound character provides the power with which a person may ride
the emergencies of life instead of being overwhelmed by them.

But he's making MONEY in the 'scrap business'. Unlike you, sitting in your mommy's basement apartment sending out idle threats via Internet.
Lloyd
On 2014-01-24, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I am not only in scrap business, but I agree, I would not hire "jon banquer" to be my personal "success coach".
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:38:22 -0600, Ignoramus29975

I wonder whether you would hire him to sweep floors?
--
Cheers,

John B.

He's not qualified. He never grew up emotionally, relying on mommy for subsistance, has no social graces, zero technical skills, and he's too much of a pussy to do physical labor. He's a standard 'ward of the state' case.
The good news: Some day, an angered ex-pat Moskvich or down-on-his luck machinery repair guy who doesn't like the tone of Jonnie's squeeky little voice or the sound of his widdle foot stamping, will call him out and permanently silence him.
The bad news: We have to put up with his filth and stink until he does.
Lloyd

Would be a big insurance risk.

These are old hard drives from a defunct computer that I owned. They held some cryptographic keys that I did not want to release outside of my control.

Just wait. You'll find one on the surplus market! <G>

Quite the contrary. SCSI drives expose and allow a "low level format" facility where every byte of every sector can be written over with a chosen pattern. It does take a while, though, to wipe every bit of every sector on large drives! OTOH, embedded-controller SCSI drives do it in a "stand-alone" mode, such that the computer attached need merely start the format, then disconnect and go service other drives.
Contrary to urban myth, a sector that's _truly_ been written end-to-end with a new pattern leaves no 'residue' data that can be read by a forensics person. That only happens when sectors are updated with partial-sector data (read/modify/write vs. fill/write).
LLoyd
Lloyd
On 2014-01-25, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

A big disk takes over a night to overwrite. Crushing... 1 minute...
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:17:23 -0600, Ignoramus8074

IMPORTANT TIP: You do not need to stay up and watch it as it is being overwritten.
--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:38:28 PM UTC-5, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

The approved procedure for wiping a hard drive containing secret data over wrote the drive three times. It seems like requiring belt and suspenders to me. But that is ( or at least was ) the requirement where I worked.
Dan

That's just to make sure they didn't miss any on the first two times through. They likely also required a different person to do each over- write.
It's like redundancy on aircraft systems; better safe than sorry.
LLoyd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:15:20 AM UTC-5, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

There was no requirement to have different people do each over write. As I remember the program would do three over writes when ever it was run. I a lways believed the requirement for three over writes was because of the res idual magnetism after one write was possibly enough to be able to reconstr uct the data. It would take some sophisticated equipment to do that, but it would be theoretically possible.
Dan