Help me catch THIEVES that are in this VIDEO

I and my neighbor were burglarized last night.

Here's a video showing the burglars and their white car.

Any help will be appreciated and there is a REWARD posted.

Please repost FAR AND WIDE.

Any idea what year/make/model is the car?

Ignoramus4731

What did they take?

Been visited by any gypsies recentley?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Good luck, Ig. Can the police overscan that vid and pull a plate? What all was taken? Tools and equipment? Cash box? Scrap? That really sucks. I got hit a few times in LoCal, mostly by drunken illegals. One left a lot of his blood and was caught, but they just shipped him home. I hope the cops have a suspect, given the video. Catch those bastids!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Any white/lite vans or carryalls with luggare rack on top reported stolen in your area?

Could be a Ford transit van

Land Rover
Range Rover

F. George McDuffee

Sorry to hear about it! Geez, I couldn't get ANYTHING off that video, it looked like the same single frame to me, but maybe I missed the action.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Right.

I mostly used those cameras to spy on my workers when I am away (and to make them aware that I spy on them).

I fixed that, now there are 500w lights on both sides of the building.

I will also add two more higher resolution cameras, and lights, pointing at the road.

I will check with the village.

They were outside and stole some scrap electric motors and some stainless.

This camera sucks, and crashes about 1/2 the time when I download previous movies from SD card. I have a script that does it at :22 minutes every hour, hence the missing ten minutes from around that time.

I will add some better cameras ($1000+) and some more flood lighting.

May also add some switch triggered alarms.

The worst was a battery from my dump truck.

The race would not help very much, plenty of people of any race around.

It is a lesson learned.

The problem is this.

1) If I go with a solution by any kind of company (surveillance, alarms), I would end up paying them big money every month and still questionable results. I have seen a lot of such things in other burglaries, that security systems do not help for all kinds of odd reasons. 2) The DIY solution requires a lot of time investment, and then I have to deal with crappy products, for example cameras with a big list of "features", that crash when I download a file. i
Reply to
Ignoramus7467

That sucks, but at least from your other posts it seems they didn't get too much. You can get 5MP IP cams from China for under $200 that will give you a nice clear picture. Couple with a decent NVR or some NVR software on a PC and it can work pretty well.

Reply to
Pete C.

Having watched the clip I don't think the vehicle looks right to be any Land Rover product.

Reply to
David Billington

So you have some inside, too? Good.

Why in the hell didn't you go with LEDs, Ig? Much cheaper to run, live forever.

You need permission to put up a chain-link fence?

Alert the scrap yards, asking that they give you the license number of anyone scrapping those in the next weeks. Maybe it will give the police a clue.

When you put up the motion detectors, set up the hi-rez cams to start. Once you're done, put some good looking scrap -bait- outside and catch those bastards.

Make it motion detecting and make sure it is DarkSky approved.

Yeah, g'luck!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

These cameras suck.

I have a whole bunch of them.

Some do not work in the dark, despite their claims (Foscam clones).

Some crash when I download files from SD cards (Y-Cam clones).

Ignoramus7467

Ignoramus7467 fired this volley in news:6sednRCh2Z6w snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ig, the Foscam clones DO work in the dark, but the "autoiris" function won't cover the luminance range between dark and light times.

You could write a cron script that would change the brightness and contrast settings at certain times, and get reasonable quality images from Foscam's and their $79 clones.

I have a bunch of them. I use them for machine monitors, so operators can view hidden areas of the automation from a safe location (seeing as how they're making explosives). As such, I've worked with a bunch of models, hacked the os, and done other such.

Since the cameras themselves run a tiny Linux, you can plant the cron IN the camera, rather than having to figure out IP feeds from a host to the cameras.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

+1

I have a couple of the ~$60 china cams with the built-in IR illumination that are over 3 years old & still working fine.

The software is pretty decent too, you can define motion-detect alarm zones in the video so you don't have alot of false triggers like cars going by if you have to point it towards the road & you can also define when you want them to record motion, like between 5pm & 9am only. The only problem is when it rains or snows or a spider sets up a web across the lens but all cams will have that problem.

Similar to mine:

Have you visited the local scrapyards to look for your motors? They are supposed to ID people who sell them stuff.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Those Foscam clones work OK inside, but not outside. Their IR illumination messes themselves up.

Ignoramus7467

Ig, I played with the very pixelated capture and looked at the vehicle a bit. I think it's a minivan, not an SUV.

It has very bright backup lights, two additional backup lights beneath the bumper, and a triangular taillight pattern. It doesn't look like domestic plastic, so try imports.

The lights and the wide support beam between the rear and side windows should give experts strong clues. I'll bet a used car salesman could quickly tell you the make and model. Take a printout around and ask, or tell the detective to give him some more clues, if he hasn't already thought of that. And if he cares.

Two very bad pics, but a different light perspective.

Try here for the triangular light pattern.

(P.S: Gunner, where the _hell_ did you get "Land Rover"?!)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I guess you are an executive at this company, so I assume you've notified your legal and accounting folks? Delegation of authority instead of the usual 10-foot-tall-and bulletproof-diy? You are in Illinois, right?

You are saying that publicaly? Are your legal folks comfortable with that?

That fast? You fixed it or the appropriate security personnel and electricians? Have the lawyers, accountants and their insurance contractors been satisfied? Has the local law enforcement been notified or is this all a do-it-yourself effort?

Just curious.

Reply to
mogulah

Ignoramus7467 fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ig, I don't only use them for machines. I have them in my facility, outdoors, using IR. They work just fine. They do NOT work OK if left on the automatic settings. I have to trim the brightness and contrast settings for each particular environment.

I don't know what's different from your environment and mine, but mine work. In the dark. During black-sky nights. On IR illumination, only.

???

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Getting robbed sucks! The sense of violation ("That's MY stuff!") is worse than the financial loss, usually.

Now, as to security: if you do install good cameras and are able to identify future thieves, what are the chances that they will be pursued, caught, tried, punished and that you will get your stuff back? Given losses of, what, hundreds of dollars?

I'd say that your money is much better spent on prevention than on apprehension. The floodlights are a good & cheap deterrent. Caging the more valuable stuff that is outside. Bring the truck inside.

Ultimately, you don't want to spend way more than the stuff is worth to protect it. Especially for apprehension that doesn't result in getting your stuff back.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You can buy a separate IR floodlight that shuts itself off during the day.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The hood is longer, the support pillar is angled in that pic, and the lights are vertical. NOGO, but every guess might help. I still think a used car salesman would know instantly.

I spent a few minutes, then decided to let Ig do the final search with the link I sent.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Linux Zoneminder has a pretty good reputation, and it is free.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge