Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

And easily replaced (my NSA level techs).

I'm thinking that if the magnet is stron enough to grab the drive from several inches away, whatever was written on it is toast.

Unless it's the NSA level techs who are interested.

Then YOU are toast...

Reply to
CaveLamb

(VERY big grin!)

YEAH, that would probably give the NSA guys fits...

Reply to
CaveLamb

DON! What have you been hiding???

Reply to
CaveLamb

How exactly are they hooked?

Reply to
Ignoramus23924

Google Android + tether

Via charging/data port on cell phone

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Drill a hole through the critter and shatter the platters.

If I had a bunch I'd make up a quick set of 1/4 or 1/8 inch punches for my dake arbor press, set up like a spot welder- hold the platter between the punches, pull the lever until you hear "crunch", repeat.

Of course you can never have enough head control magnets...

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

I believe he meant to say "laptop hooked to a cell phone", Ig.

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A little slow there?

"cellphone" is a noun. "cell phone" is a noun and an adjective (descriptive noun)

---------

-- Education - get some

Reply to
Josepi

Thanks to all.

Just a little update.

I did put them on a demagnetizer, just in case. Then I destroyed them in a press.

Ignoramus31410

Hmm ... never attacked any more serious ones -- e.g. the 8" SMD interface drives like the Fujitsu M2312K, or the 10" SMD interface ones like the Fujitsu Eagle, or even the 14" washing machine drives (also SMD interface).

And there were even some with hydraulic head positioners, or with many fixed heads with up to 4 foot diameter platters. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You are talking "antique" dasdis

Reply to
clare

[ ... ]

Well ... sort of -- though I've used the 8" ones (Fujitsu M2312K

-- 84 MB) at home -- back around 1980 or so. And on my unix box, I didn't call them "DASD"s -- I might have if I had a mainframe at home, but no room and no power for that. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

In 1975 or '76 I was working in a machine shop for the first time. I would work 3 months straight 10 hours a day (really! I was young!) doing the turning and boring work on cast iron motor housings for IBM. The cycle time was just under 15 minutes each so I made 40 per day. I'd get a couple months of 5 and 6 day weeks and then another run of 3 months on those damn castings. I only found out years later they were for big magnetic disc drives. I think they were for either the 3330 or

3340 drives. Eric
Reply to
etpm

In the computer world 1980 IS antique!!!!

Reply to
clare

Remove the platters from the drives and sandblast the oxide layer off in your sandblaster. Even the noted NSA level techs will not be able to recover data from a pile of mixed platter dust.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not likely strong enough.

My standard approach is pounding the disk into a shapeless blob using a five-pound hammer and an anvil. I put the drive in a freezer bag (heavy polyethylene) first so the parts don't fly everywhere.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

You cannot do that with a 5 lb sledge. The hard drive will not break.

Ignoramus6479

Really? It works well enough for my purposes. Maybe NSA could get data off the result, but nobody else can. I use a drilling hammer and big boulder.

But you are free to use any size hammer you can swing.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Joe, a while ago, I tried pounding hard drives with a 8 lb sledge on concrete.

While I am sure that the first blow will render is inoperable, I was very surprised to find that the drive remained physically intact. After perhaps 20 blows, the hard drive has been seriously scratched up, but still essentially intact.

Reply to
Ignoramus21144

You need a bigger hammer.

John