Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

Or to exercise more, so he can swing the hammer properly. Too much time behind a keyboard and with automated tools makes you weak.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Open it up, put a propane torch to it until it glows.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I prefer using the drive's built in software to destroy the data, but to some people everything looks like a loose railroad spike.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We've disassembed and destroyed a number of drives, large [old Barracuda's with magnesium housings...] and small [laptop].

Some have glass platters, many don't. Most have a good selection of tiny screws.

All have interesting magnets and the other parts succumb to the

20 ton HF press.
Reply to
David Lesher

Really gets down to how thoroughly you want it destroyed.

Want to do it thoroughly, grind the platters to dust, mix the dust with Thermite, burn the Thermite, then spread the results over the Pacific.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Quick and dirty way, open the drive up, toss in a handful of hundred mesh silicon carbide and a teaspoon of nitric acid, close it up, and run it until parts stop rattling around inside it.

Not as good as grinding the platters to dust, mixing with thermite, burning, and scattering the ashes, but it's less effort.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Software won't destroy it beyond the ability of a first world government to recover. For that you need to do physical damage.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The OP died three months ago.

Want to do it thoroughly, grind the platters to dust, mix the dust with Thermite, burn the Thermite, then spread the results over the Pacific.

Reply to
Josepi

I think that he said that I died 3 months ago.

Ignoramus24615

LOL I think the point was made quite well.

2------------- On 2011-08-24,some killfiled troll wrote: Who did?
Reply to
Josepi