Good news from the Anson

Well done Geoff and the team - very well deserved.

I trust you have copied to SEM Dave?

Reply to
Nick H

Editor, Gordon Wright snipped-for-privacy@kelsey.co.uk

Reply to
Nick H

I received this today & thought it of interest to the list.

---------------------------------------------------------- Hi, I am passing on some terrific news about Geoff Challinor (but he doesn't know I am doing it - he would be far too modest to tell you this himself).

Everyone at the museum is bursting with pride and we want to share our news so I have written and sent out a press release (below).

Do pass on the news to anyone I may have missed as Geoff deserves his few minutes in the limelight for a change. Margaret :-))))))

Chairman of the Anson Engine Museum Receives Prestigious Accolade

Geoff Challinor received a massive accolade at the Cheshire Awards for Tourism Skills at The Mere Gold and Country Club on Thursday 11th November. He was awarded the "Commitment To Industry", prize.

At a glittering award ceremony for the Cheshire Awards for Tourism Skills (CATS) 2004, a packed room of over 300 managers, professionals and employees from the North West's Tourism Industry, were spellbound listening as the shortlist and then winners for each category were read out.

In the "Tourism Team of the Year" category, the Anson Engine Museum's "Gardner Exhibition Team" was among the 12 nominees. The team was rewarded for all their hard work and dedication by picking up a Bronze certificate. Fantastic achievement for a group of volunteers who were pitched against some of the major tourism and hospitality sites in the county.

An even more hotly contested category was for the individual who had shown loyalty, commitment and whose contribution to the industry has been exceptional. Geoff Challinor, chairman of the Museum, was the winner of the "Commitment To Industry" award. He picked up the Gold certificate, an engraved trophy and a map showing where in the constellation of Perseus the star bought to remember the event "CATS 2004" will be shining.

The judges were particularly impressed with Geoff's ability to inspire, coach and energise everyone he meets by his enthusiasm and willingness to share knowledge. His efforts have seen the museum grow from a private collection in a basic shed to a respected museum attracting visitors from across the world. All this on a shoestring budget and a workforce made up entirely of volunteers with no government subsidies or grants.

The judges stated that "Geoff was an example to everyone" and paid tribute to his loyalty and dedication. The Museum has benefited from having such a friendly, welcoming host. Geoff spends hours talking to visitors, answering their many queries and starting the engines for them to view. His quiet, self-effacing, good-natured ways endear him to visitors and volunteers alike.

As well as his own museum Geoff is often contacted for advice, and practical help, to strip or move engines for companies across the UK (eg Drainage Boards, Technical help for Manchester Science & Industry Museum, The National Trust). He was also the inspiration and key support to a friend of his to open a Stationary Engine Museum in Ceredigion, Wales last year.

Geoff described the moment as one of the proudest in his life "I am honoured and humbled to receive this award. I am proud to accept it, not just on my behalf, but as an acknowledgement of the wonderful team I have working with me at the museum."

He says he intends to have the two Award certificates on prominent display at the museum when it reopens for the 2005 season on Easter Sunday.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Hi Nick, I don't have any dealings with them these days. By all means post it if you wish.

Reply to
Dave Croft

I can only echo what Nick says, "Well done Geoff and team". Hopefully lots of attention will be drawn to the museum and this will translate into extra visitors and financial contributors.

On a lighter note, I guess Geoff will be buying an astronomical telescope now ;-).

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton