"Step Back in Time at The Anson Engine Museum"

Boy has it been a weekend!!!!

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who came to The Anson this weekend - it was fantastic to see you all. The place was really humming, makes it all seem worthwhile.

I apologise to those of you who I didn't get a chance to have a good chat with, but I think you might have noticed we were a bit busy!!! In among all the other stuff our patron (Sir Nicholas Winterton) decided to turn up with a film crew who were doing a documentary on him and suddenly we were a good backdrop. The film crew liked the look of the place so are coming again on Thursday with the local weatherman to do a bit of filming - knowing our luck it will be snowing.

Despite all this I had a ball - thanks for making the effort to get along, our pleasure to have you here. Let's hope this weekend is the start of yet more big n' better get togethers.

A tired (but feeling kind of good) Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Challinor

Hi Geoff, a great afternoon! If anyone wants to see what it looked like see,

have lost my engine list so the pictures are just numbered. All the pictures of engine men looking forward are when they watched the 4 cylinder lamp start Gardner. A lovely sight!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map

Dave Croft

"I had pictured you as being older" said the large man with the white beard. That's the problem with having an old-fashioned sort of name like Arthur.

At work, I spend a lot of time talking to regular customers on the phone, and I usually assemble a mental picture of them. If I ever meet them, they are absolutely unlike, and often the complete opposite, of the virtual photofit I have constructed.

When I arrived at the Anson Engine Museum, the difficulty with our loose arrangement to meet up today became apparent. I got the last car park space and there were loads of people there, not the sprinkling I had visualised. So, I didn't know what any of the others looked like, apart from my inbuilt (and probably totally wrong) photofit. "Well, if I wander about, I might be able to spot someone obvious", I thought.

I had seen the large man before and thought it might be Kim. While chatting with the owner of a model flame-gulper engine (or vacuum engine to those who know), it turned out that he was Dave Croft. Dave had met Martin Perman earlier, and we walked around trying to spot him. No joy.

Somewhere along the way Kim and I met. A little later while watching the starting of a big Gardner, I overheard Kim calling a man Martin. Bingo, I'd found another of the group. Martin looked nothing like the image in my head I had titled Martin Perman.

Anyway, to the museum. It was my first visit and it won't be the last. An amazing amount of work has been done there on a shoestring and relying on volunteer help. God alone knows how Geoff Challinor manages it all. The collection sprawls through the grounds and buildings. There is a particular focus on Manchester-built engines, with Nationals, Gardners, Crossleys, and Blackstones abounding. There are fine early examples of these marques.

The weather was excellent, though chilly, and Geoff reckoned it was the largest crowd they'd had. Hopefully, the crowds will keep coming. For any of you within striking distance, or beyond, I would say make the time and go, though you'll have to wait until next year now.

Some photos of the day can be seen at:

Regards,

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

[...]

Some photos of the day can be seen at: (when I've got them posted)

Regards,

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

As I lost connection in the middle of the post, I sent it again. Sorry!

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Couldn't make the get together on Sunday, but our last minute visit on Saturday was very enjoyable too, well done Geoff & your team, I look forward to seeing the Museum go on to great things, for you surely will.

Cheers Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Coulls

Well, I had a really good time. Those who didn't go missed an enthralling day out, the M6 traffic jam was well worth it and I don't begrudge a minute of the seven hours on the road to have the four-and-a-half hours there. My photos are in the usual place under "Anson Museum, Open Day Oct '03"

There were far more people there than I expected and Geoff was also taken aback - I'd say around 150 at two o'clock, but others came as early arrivers departed. It was actually hard to find somewhere to park the cars!

At one point I was bracketed by the two big four cylinder Gardners and sat watching the 4FHM as the knife edges opened and failed to open the inlet valves. With its spark plugs AND heated inlet chests to keep the paraffin vaporised it must surely be the most complicated and elegant solution to using paraffin as a viable fuel.

The other 4T5 Port Build Gardner was a hot tube two stroke requiring some

15-20 minutes of pre-heating before the 200psi air start would fire it up. Driving a Heenan & Froude water brake, it was as impressive as one might expect. Both were a real credit to their builders and the man who renovated them - and I'm sorry I failed to record his name.

Various big engines were tuffing away to themselves in both main halls and an unconcreated gallery had several engine and hot air models running on display.

Outside, a well patined (not to say mossy!) Blackstone hot tube gas engine with a fourteen inch bore resisted the attempts of four stalwart souls to make it run, but it gave in eventually and then - of course - ran without missing a beat until it was turned off.

There was a small engine display, such as one might find at any event or rally with (for instance) an ST P5 rigged up to a compressor pumping air through water in a milk bottle! Simple, but an effective way of showing what it was doing. There were perhaps ten engines being displayed, including two vintage lawnmowers.

I was unable to resist the chance to snap up two Iron Horse engines from different vendors, both of which were running earlier this evening. They are not the usual WD generators, but a strap start and a kickstart stationary engines. They have interesting carbs, quite sophisticated and I've no doubt frugal. What looks like (and doubles as) a float chamber drain is also a main jet needle and crucial in adjustment. I can tuck them under my arm, a real consideration as one gets older ;o))

I was pleased to be able to put a face to Arthur Griffin and Dave Croft and to see Martin Perman and Patrick Knight wandering around and taking photos. I saw others I'm sure I know but was unable to put a name to.

Geoff Challinor had his birthday on the Saturday (I was there on Sunday only) and I suspect that he could have had no better present than to see how many people of all ages appeared at his museum (and I use the term advisedly) more or less at the drop of a hat. He well deserves any success and praise that might come his way and how he has achieved what he has with two pairs of hands and a coterie of willing volunteers is a mystery to me.

My sincere thanks to everyone associated with the Anson that provided me with a great day out.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Gentlemen,

On the back of Kim's and Arthur' comments I also agree and my pics which I have not sorted are in the usual place warts and all.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Roger Gardner rebuilt the 4T5, I have some video from Geoff of the first attempts at starting, will be going on The Anson website shortly.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

I've looked at everyones pictures and it was clearly a superb do. MUST make the visit in the not to distant future, is there an open day over the 1000 engine rally weekend?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Hi Nick, there are coach trips to the museum on the Saturday evening from the 1000 engine rally. The museum is fully operating then. Ask Joan about it when you are booking in. ISTR that Geoff said it was open next Easter as well.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map

Dave Croft

Is this for rally exhibitors only or can anyone roll up?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

OK for anyone.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Experiencing our difficulties in identifying each other first hand at the Anson on Sunday I spent a little time drawing the attached badge.

thought if we printed a few copies & printed them on thick paper with our names written on we could wear them to find each other. What do you think about the idea? It would be nice to have an enamel badge but their isn't enough of us to make it economical.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map

Dave Croft

I've uploaded another thirty pics of the Sunday open day. They are not captioned yet, but I got some good ones of the big Gardners!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Hi Kim, your pictures of 0131b & 0132b belong to me. (On permanent loan to the museum) It came from Monks Hall Iron Bedstead Works, Liverpool Road, Warrington & was powered off the DC tramway lines that ran past the works. It ran the lathes & drills in the maintenance shop & they always knew when a tram went past as the machines slowed down. It was made inshop by the aprentice's in 1900 when my great uncle was the Electricians apprentice.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map

Dave Croft

Thanks for that Dave, I've used what you said as a caption - always useful!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Roger Gardner and myself restored The Gardner.>

He well deserves any success

Just think what we will do when I've grown the second pair !!!!!!

John Simpson and Ian Harcome are my mainstay hands on helpers.

Reply to
Geoff Challinor