mig welding 'burn back time'??

Hi,
I am a technology teacher here in Tasmania Australia. I am a quiet
member of the forum, but I now have a problem that someone may be able
to solve.
. What does the 'BURN BACK TIME' on MIG welders do? It is usually
inside the cabinet on the Aus machines and is obviously not to be
adjusted often.
Any ideas guys?
Cheers
John
Reply to
JD
If burnback is set incorrectly you either have a long wire sticking in the cooling puddle when you release the trigger or the wire burns back up to the contact tip and sticks in the tip. When you release the trigger you want the wire feed motor to stop feeding then a very short time later the power/welding current should shut off. Some machines have the burnback adjustment on the front of the feeder. When it is readily available it becomes a magnet for every fool's attention. After that fool has used the machine, of course... it is your turn to use the machine. Randy
Hi, I am a technology teacher here in Tasmania Australia. I am a quiet member of the forum, but I now have a problem that someone may be able to solve. . What does the 'BURN BACK TIME' on MIG welders do? It is usually inside the cabinet on the Aus machines and is obviously not to be adjusted often. Any ideas guys? Cheers John
Reply to
R. Zimmerman
When you let off the trigger, it keeps welding for an instant with the wire rollers off. This keeps you from getting the wire stuck in the puddle every time.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
Basically, what Steve B wrote is 100% correct. When you lift you finger off the gun trigger, (without a burnback timer installed) the weld power and wire drive would be powered down simultaneously. But inertia in the wire drive would continue to feed wire into the puddle for a short time, resulting in the wire being stuck into the frozen weld puddle. The burnback timer keeps the weld power on for a short time while the wire drive comes to a halt and prevents wire stick. Not enough burnback time=wire stick Too much=wire burns back to contact tip. If you have no problems now, leave it alone. Many cheaper machines have no adjustable burnback, but it doesn't mean they don't have one: Its just a built-in preset one.
Reply to
Potblak
Guys,
That was a classic example of "Zimmer Prose". Informative. Terse. Funny.
Vern> If burnback is set incorrectly you either have a long wire sticking in
Reply to
Vernon
Thanks both for your very informative words cheers John Potblak wrote:
Reply to
JD